1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yes its true im a lesbian who prays

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mercy, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Mercy

Mercy Guest

:icon_redf i dunno if im the only one who does Its kind of annoying to my self
    i pray if im sad happy annoyed lonley sick so on n so forth why do i though ?? why am i so addicted to it

2. jargon

I'm non-theistic myself, but I was raised Catholic and I was very religious as a kid. I remember prayer being really helpful to me, and in some form, I still do it today occasionally. I just don't need to do it with relation to a personal God anymore.

Spontaneously and honestly expressing gratitude for anything you appreciate in life makes you enjoy those things more and makes you happier overall (I know, I've had to read about 8 psychology articles on research about this for a course in the last semester). Being able to pray when things are bad gives you an element of control. This isn't to say categorically that there's no meaningful spiritual component to prayer either, though I tend towards atheism as I said. And of course, there are plenty of coneptions of God that don't hate lesbiens :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I don't think there's any necessary contradiction.

3. Veronica

Praying is a lot like writing a diary. It helps you organise and review your thoughts and put them into words. I was raised religious as well, but was horrible at praying. I just ended up describing my thoughts to some non-specified friend as if I was having a conversation. It made more sense than talking to some sky-man that never made any difference.

But essentially it is all the same thing. Sort of self-therapy :slight_smile:

I still do these things. I either write, or I just imagine having a conversation with a friend. Some of us just have the need to express our feelings in form of words in order to sort them out. Sometimes I'll just talk with a real person, but it's easier to talk to no one sometimes. I am really fond of writing actually, and I've kept a diary many times throughout my life. I always end up getting rid of it in case someone should ever read it though :slight_smile:

4. Debug

St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
    I see nothing wring with you praying... even if you are theistic I'd imagine a god I'd worship as someone who is accepting of anyone LBGT or otherwise.