1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel like I can't come out to my mom.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Menaki-Neko, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Menaki-Neko

Fargo North Dakota, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    I was about to come out to her this week, but I learned right on time that she hates the idea of bisexuals and homosexuals. I felt crushed, I cried to myself most of the night last night. I went to school this morning and threw up in the bathroom. After I was sent back home, my mom went back to work after bringing me back, and I went back to crying the whole time she was at work, I was listening to music to help make me feel better, I felt better after a few hours of "Born this Way" by Lady Gaga and "Firework" by Katy Perry, but before I felt better I almost shorted out my headphones with my own tears. Now at least you know how bad I feel. I no longer think that she'll accept me if I come out to her. I feel miserable now, and I can't stop thinking about it. :tears: I need to know if I'm the only one who has gone through this situation.

2. Mercy

Mercy Guest

Woah babe deep breath im here to help and yes u can do it

3. hiddenxrainbows

I feel the exact same way, dude. You're definitely not alone. My dad's one of those crazy Christian homophobes that think all gays are evil and disgusting and going to hell. For the last little while, I've wanted to tell him that I'm pan. But I just haven't. And I don't think I will right now. Maybe not until I move out. Maybe not ever. Because I feel the same way you do. Depressed and worried that he won't accept me if he knows the truth. It's not easy trying to deal with homophobic parents, whether you've come out to them or not. And the idea of coming out to them is rather...scary.

So yeah, you're definitely not the only one. I'm going through the same thing right now, too.

And if you ever need to someone to talk to about this kinda stuff, you can always come to me ^_^

4. Debug

St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
    I've always heard that the people who you expect to take it the worst end up taking it the best. Don't tell her until you're ready but at some point shes going to need to accept you for who you are and she will when shes ready. Her acceptance of you as you may even awaken a better understanding of LBGT people in general. Someone once said that it takes a very brave person to be LBGT in society today and I must agree with that sentiment. You can do this. Things will get better and if she doesn't accept you for you in the end that its her loss.

5. anatta

If you are financially dependent on her don't take any risks with your safety. 1 in 4 US teens who came out to their parents were told they had to leave home according to a 2006 study. Others run away because of how they're then treated. I'm not trying to scare you, but if you do intend to come out before gaining a way to provide for yourself, investigate the options available to where you live and for your age group, should the worst happen. Many school councellors advise teens not to come out until they have independence, or until they have good evidence that their parents would behave tolerably, because of these risks.

6. Doctor Faustus

I'm with anatta on this one.

(*hug*) Be strong, stay safe!