1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out for the first time!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by andrew23, Dec 6, 2011.

1. andrew23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey everyone...I am a 19 year old guy and have finally decided to come out for the first time. I plan on coming out this winter break to my younger sister, who I know wouldn't ever want me out of her life, though she might have a hard time accepting it. I come from a Christian family and my sister has mentioned before about how being gay is wrong. I know she'll come around eventually, but does anyone have any tips for what I should say to her? Thanks!

2. J Snow

Well I think its a good idea you are telling your sister first. When I told my parents my mom made me promise not to tell either of my sisters, so I really wish I had gone with my gut instinct and just told her first =/

Be honest. Anyway you feel most comfortable getting the words out there okay. Best of luck (*hug*)

3. Emergelove

Good luck! I am wondering if it would be acceptable for you to come out to a trusted friend before the winter break as a "practice." Just a thought I had when I read your post. Speaking of my experience of coming out 5 days ago, once I had the words out, it was a lot of feelings for us, but eventually it felt so much more real.

4. Doctor Faustus

Only tell those whom you trust, and let them know that telling them is a sign of how much you love them and how honest you want to be with them. Work your way up to your parents. But make sure the whole process happens in your own time and on your own terms .

Hope this helps.

5. Emergelove

Yes and I would second what Dr. F has said about pacing yourself... and letting the purpose be clear, i.e you are coming out to someone because you care about the other person enough to want to have an authentic relationship with them.