1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Stonewalled"

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Dare2bProud, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Dare2bProud

The term "stonewalled" was brought up during my early sessions with my counselor regarding situations I have had where my interactions with men have turned badly and the other party decides to not recognize my existence, flat out ignore me and just pretend we are strangers on the street. This really hurts me because I am the one that is always wanting to work things out and the reason it had ever gotten this far is because the situations turned into a tug of war, in which, I would have to compromise myself to get them to not be angry with me. Recently, a guy that I had a short history with has begun to do this, at first I was very angry, begging him for us to talk it out, then we went through months in which we stopped talking. Now *I* have decided that whenever I see him I am just going to say "hi" to him regardless if he says "hi" or not because in that case I won't beat myself up and go through the whole song and dance of "why doesn't he talk to me? maybe you should say something." It's funny that ever since I started this, other people around have noticed that he's been an (pardon the french) ass towards me and won't let it go. They keep saying, "At least you're trying to forgive him." I will say "Hi" and he will just ignore me. It sounds odd but I feel a sense of release that I started to acknowledging him and whether or not he says "hello" to me is beyond me caring. It's also sad to me that I still care about him and I have seen a total decline in his confidence from when we met until now. When we first met he was very happy and outgoing, as the time has gone on, not just my interaction with him but seeing his interaction with others, he walks around with his head to the ground and is very withdrawn. I want to reach out and help him and I have given him that rope so many times but he won't take it. It hurts to see another person decline like that.

Has anyone else been through situations like this with another person you had a relationship or friendship with? How did you handle it?

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've had people suddenly vanish out of my life. No returned phone calls or e-mails or what not. And when that happens, I usually leave a message along the lines of "Hey, haven't heard from you in a while. Hit me up when you have a sec and we'll catch up." And then I get on with my life. I figure at that point, the ball's in their court, and if they want to maintain contact, they know what they have to do. :slight_smile:

Lex