1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where do you draw the line?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by GlindaRose, Dec 7, 2011.

1. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Where do you draw the line between your friends and the person you're going out with?

I ask this because tonight I relented to go to the pub with some friends, despite having an essay to finish. At the time I believed that the plan was that they would go for drinks at the pub, followed by a club, but that I would go to the pub and then go home (because of having to work the next day). So we went out, and as the night went on I got more into it and eventually relented to going to the club as well. Because of this, I opted to drink a little more than I would have otherwise done.

However, as we were leaving the pub, my house mate (who had been a key organizer of the event) got a call from his girlfriend. After the call he suddenly changed his mind and said he was going home. I couldn't help but feel slightly peeved, because I'd allowed myself to spend that extra little bit of money on alcohol, only to find that it was going to come to nothing.

So, I was wondering (And feel free to oppose my opinion on this by the way):

What is your view on a friend making a decision between their friends and their partner? Where do you draw the line between them? How do you decide when you have to choose between one and another? I ask this because I feel as though he made the wrong decision and I felt a bit let down (although I will admit that I did originally say it would be better to go home because I had to work the next day).

Opinions would be appreciated - thanks. :slight_smile:

2. Debug

St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
    Personally, I feel that it has to be fairly urgent for a friend to put a partner over the people they are around. I greatly dislike when people just drop everyone around them to respond to another person's needs which are often not even dire. Personally, I can't imagine asking to even want to pull someone away from their friends... I feel like that would be selfish of me and I'd probably reprimand myself for doing it.