1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Akward moments?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by thezepman, Dec 7, 2011.

1. thezepman

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hey guys. I've never been here before, but i come seeking advice. I have been straight my whole life, but recently i've realised i might be bisexual. When i talk to my mother about my feelings, she seemed to take it okay, but she seems to be different. I feel like i make her uncomfortable. Is their any advice you can offer me? How to make things less akward? She tells me nothings changed, but i know something is. She treats me different. ANy advice would be appreciated.

2. Flying Squirrel

Telling your parents that you're not entirely sure you're straight is going to be an uncomfortable discussion no matter what. But, you are on the right track. You have a loving mother who is going to be by your side as you figure out what your feelings are; take advantage of it. Use her as a resource to be open with and to talk to as you journey through figuring this all out.
    When she says that "nothings changed," she is probably referring more to her love for you and the relationship she has with you. But something has changed; her son may not be straight guy she always thought he was. Its awkward right now, but with time it will be better.
    After telling my mom, she said the same thing. But, it was very uncomfortable discussing it for the first few months. On the other hand, when I went home for thanksgiving, we laughed together when I joked about a cliche way of coming out to my dad and while going for a walk with the family she pulled me aside and pointed out a house that two lesbians just move into. I took those both to be very good signs that we're both on the same page.
    I think that you are in the same boat and it'll be ok with time. Good luck, and good job having the strength to be open with her!

3. thezepman

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thank you! That was a very good point, i appreciate it.