1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do i go about seeking a mental health/psychiatric evaulation?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by needshelp, Dec 8, 2011.

1. needshelp

basically, i want to see if i have a possible mental problem and i do not feel like doing the same runaround i did 2 years ago telling shrinks and therapists whatever only to find myself wasting time and money and still feeling the same way. how do i go about this?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First, find a therapist you connect with and can be completely honest with. You're totally wasting your time and money if you don't tell them right up front that you're struggling with understanding and accepting your sexuality (and anything else that's bothering you.)
    If you can't commit to telling them *everything* (albeit maybe not on the first visit) then don't bother going because they won't be of much help if they don't understand all the issues that are going on.

Second, go to a psychologist or clinical social worker, not a psychiatrist. Most psychiatrists prescribe drugs and not much else.

Finally, while I absolutely agree with you that seeing a therapist would be a great help for you, going "to see if you have a mental problem" is sort of beside the point. You clearly are struggling with accepting who you are, and you clearly need help with that. If you want to label that a "mental problem" then so be it, but labels should not be your focus; instead place the emphasis on learning about yourself and understanding and accepting who you are.