1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I tell in someone is homophobic?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Menaki-Neko, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Menaki-Neko

Fargo North Dakota, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    I'm coming out to my friends, but I'm waiting to tell anyone who I know is homophobic. How do I tell?

2. IanGallagher

I thought one of my friends was homophobic, made such statements in the past. I texted it to him before I went to bed. "Hey man, just thought you should finally know - I'm bi. I like both guys and girls. I'm not confused, trust me - girls rock my world. I just, like guys too." I woke up with a text telling me that everything was cool and a-ok. I just could not tell him in person, I'd be far too nervous. Since then I've brought up LGBT again, albeit concerning a character in a script I wrote and there was no sense of an awkwardness about it.

Basically what I found is, sometimes those fears are ill-conceived while at other times the person would rather still have their friend, even if he is now LGBT, than to throw him aside. It doesn't always work out like this. But I have yet to meet one person who hasn't accepted me.

Main thing with bisexuality though is to stress that you still like girls. A lot of people like to label us off as "just gay." I won't lie, at first - my friends did treat me as their "gay friend." But as time passed, they realized I'm still the same guy. I just like both. Things went back to normal. Talking chicks and dropping references to dudes here or there.

- I should note I'm a Kinsey 2.5, meaning sometimes I'm a 3, other times a 4, but mostly a 2.

#2 IanGallagher, Dec 9, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2011