1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What happens in an "Ex-Gay" ministry?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Menaki-Neko, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Menaki-Neko

Fargo North Dakota, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    My mother believes in those, and she might make an appointment for me when I come out to her, of course I wouldn't go, but I'm just wondering what they do to try to "Un-gay" someone.

2. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    they guilt you into just not actting on your gay feelings.

It bullshit. They brainwash you into thinking something is wrong with you and you need to hide it!

3. Kidd

Kidd Guest

It really depends on who you go to. "Therapy" mostly consists of reading anti-gay "holy" texts and abstinence. Malachite is right that they trick you into feeling guilty about your orientation. Here's a really short video about it. This is a "secular" therapist but most of them are religiously motivated.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJXWFZz0Qjo[/YOUTUBE]

It's genuinely disturbing, but I lol'ed at the pillow part. MOM! MOM! MOM!

#3 Kidd, Dec 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2011
  4. Ianthe

There are lots of different ones. Some of them employ shock therapy or other kinds of aversion therapy. This will not make you straight, but will be traumatic and make you associate pain and unpleasant feelings with sex, which could really mess up your sex life, or, alternatively, lead to an interest in BDSM.

Generally, they use lots of shaming techniques, which do profound harm to your self-esteem.

The reason that they are all different is that none of them have found anything that actually works. If they found something that worked, they would all do it.

5. EM68

Everyone above is correct. The ex-gay ministry is a big sham. It does more harm than good. Both the American Psychiatric Society and the American Medical Association both state that it's dangerous. The number of suicides increase after the "ex gay therapy".
    I don't know how old you are but I would stay clear of them. If you are over 18 your mom can not force you to go.

6. fiddlemiddle

fiddlemiddle Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    dont bother going. they are bs and even the ones that claim they are gay but now living an hetrosexual life are lying to themselves or bisexual all along. Just be happy the way you are.

7. J Snow

Thank God I was 20 when I came out, or else I surely would have been forced into similar nonsense. I went to Catholic school so I probably could have been pulled out of class to have 1 on 1 brain washing right in my own school =D