1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harmless flirting

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by mischa91, Dec 10, 2011.

1. mischa91

People who flirt casually should be, i don't know... punched!

It might just be me, i might just be incredibly bad at reading signals, or hey maybe it was just wishful thinking. A few weeks back i was in a store and one of the assistants, a very cute guy, came over to help me. I spent a good 20 minutes chatting (and flirting) with him when really he could have helped me in about 2 minutes and left.

So i left the store thinking 'wow! that was awesome, very cute guy flirted with me and i didn't act like a spazz which i usually do.'

So i went back to the store today, with a legitimate reason to be there and he didn't even notice me. I realize how incredibly pathetic i sound right now, that this guy i talked to once didn't notice me and i'm all bummed, but i find it quite hard to just chat to people and i never meet anyone new. I work with my dad and he's the person i see most of the time. It gets very depressing not having human contact other than your parents or the people at the barn (horse barn where everyone is seriously over 40, which isn't a bad thing but i miss people my own age).

Then this guy took the trouble to stand and talk to me, and i thought 'hey maybe he might ask me out or hell i might ask him out' and it comes to nothing.

The last date i went on was over a year ago and before that too long to even say. And don't even get me started on dating woman, when no one really knows you are open to dating women it's really hard to meet people. Plus i have that whole no dating experience thing and my people reading skills are so off.

Okay, if you managed to get through that bravo. It's probably just a jumbled mess of thoughts. I'm just a little down in the dumps with yet another Christmas spent alone with everyone i've ever met asking about my love life.

2. Doctor Faustus

Don't read too deeply into things. Enjoy the flirting. Make the most of it: it'll be good practice for when it really counts! :icon_wink:

Just don't expect anything to come out of some banterous conversation. If it does, so much the better I guess. Hey, chin up! There'll be someone better on the horizon: you just don't know it yet. :slight_smile:

#2 Doctor Faustus, Dec 10, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  3. mischa91

Oh i know, i take things to heart far too easily. Plus i've had the worst week.

I'm done waiting for my someone better, i've waited long enough.

4. Hana Solo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Sometimes people don't realise they're flirting. I believe I've been guilty of that :dry:

5. mischa91

If only dating/meeting people was easier. No scratch that, if only the cues were a lot less subtle, i for one would welcome someone who came right out and said what they were feeling.

Yes, perhaps he didn't realize he was flirting.

6. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Definitely guilty of that.
    Also guilty of flirting casually.
    Also guilty of not reading signals or of interpreting things that aren't really there.

Come to think of it, I'm just plain pretty damned guilty. Fortunately, I'm not the kind of person to really let guilt eat her up.

I think the thing to bear in mind is that flirting is just that. Basically, it need only indicate an interest in whether or not you have an interest. It's just an exchange of information...but a very indirect exchange.

If you were really interested in this guy, you could have gone up to him and asked him if he wanted to go for coffee (or whatever) when he got off work...but you weren't *that* motivated, right? No, you wanted to see whether he was interested enough in you that he'd ask *you* out for coffee. So you just flirted. For all you know, when you went back, he may well have noticed you and hoped you'd come back and flirt some more...or ask him for coffee...but he wasn't motivated enough to make that contact...just like you weren't. Funny how we are, isn't it?

7. PerfectInsanity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Flirty, sexually ambiguous individuals really drive me nuts (is he just a really nice, flirtatious straight guy or is he actually gay?).

However, I've been guilty of flirty behavior too, but with girls. I think a lot of my flirting, at least with girls, is due to trying to fit in and "act the part" while I was closeted. However, I'm 6+ months out of the closet and I found myself being flirty with a female cashier at PetsMart last night, complete with an awkward silence at the end before I said good night. I'm 100% gay, so what the fuck is wrong with me?