1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I handle someone that's homophobic?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Menaki-Neko, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Menaki-Neko

Fargo North Dakota, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    I'm just wondering what I should do just in case I run into someone like that.

2. jlg65

Just remember who you are and be the best you that you can be! It doesn't matter what other people think, I matters what you think of yourself. If they have a problem with you or your life style, its their problem not yours. Stay strong and confident in yourself and it won't matter who you run into :slight_smile:

3. Jaaku

I think that depends on the level of homophobia you're talking about...

in general, vague, and rather useless terms: stick up for yourself. they can't put you down if you hold your head high and are unashamed of who you are. but don't let your pride be the reason you get hurt.

4. roboticemu

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My technique thus far is to be knowledgable and not make it super personal. I have decided that the next time someone says that one's orientation is their choice, I will ask them "When did you choose to be straight" an idea I got from an I'm Bored.com video.

5. Hana Solo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I usually say that its not wrong to be gay, any more than its wrong to be straight.

6. FleetFish

For me, it depends on the situation. I kind of play it by ear and try to work in my say as the situation permits. Also it depends on the level of hate/intolerance/ignorance I am dealing with. If someone is just sort of misinformed or ignorant, I can work on that and try to talk with them. If someone is completely off their rocker and foaming at the mouth, forget it.

Honestly, I really dislike confrontation, so I am often likely to just sort of give them a dumb look and tune them out. I think this comes from growing up in a little podunk town where women and children weren't allowed to have opinions or join conversation, so sometimes I still feel like I'm not allowed to speak up. At the very least, I know what I have to say will not be respected in my hometown. Elsewhere, maybe I'm not wasting my breath.

But this is something I am working on. I really think it's good that we stand up for ourselves.

7. IanGallagher

Stick up for yourself, dude. Just show/tell him how ignorant he's being. If he's with a group of friends, most likely, if you out alpha him that way? He'll be too ashamed that he lost or that you stood up to him that he'll walk away.

8. insidehappy

insidehappy Guest

that sounds like a good come back but the person is only going to say: "everyone is born straight and gay people abandon this and decide to do whatever they want to do and choose to be gay but they do not have to because it's not how they were meant to be in teh first place." my point is people with this way of thinking will have it no mtter what you say and only will end up debating back and forth with you and ulimately tell you, that you are sinning.