1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's just so hard

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by sometimesbetter, Dec 11, 2011.

1. sometimesbetter

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When your sister thinks that you're only feeling this way as a result of hormonal changes. Or, that she wants you to feel "straight", because deep down, she doesn't want this family to be ruined. I know it's only been 2 days, but I already feel like I'm going back into the closet. I'm done with this shit. I'm done with feeling this way. I'm just gonna shut up about this and never talk to them again. If they want to go back into the closet, then that's their choice, but I'm not.

I've even used reverse psychology in asking her how she knows she's straight or how she knows she's a "girl", etc. I've given her proof. I'm in fucking psychology and I've shown her resources. Why can't people just accept you for who you are? Sigh.

2. jlg65

I admire you for having the courage to come out at all. I would give you a hug if I could right now! I really believe that it will get better for you. Show your family how much happier you will be now that you have embraced you true self! When they see you smiling, they will know that your still the boy they raised or the brother they grew up with. I hurt for you but keep up hope! It will get better

3. sometimesbetter

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    They think that me being happy means that I'm turning straight, because I'm overcoming this "ridiculous phase". Sigh.

4. jlg65

Tell them what it feel likes not having the support of your family. Tell them that this is who you are, this is who you want to be. Stick up for yourself and tell them that this isnt their decision, its yours. If you ever need to talk, I'm here.

5. sometimesbetter

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Oh. Trust me, I've tried. They think I shouldn't think about this more until I've graduated university and then we can sit down and talk about what to do next. It's not that easy LOL.

And, thanks for the offer.

6. Doctor Faustus

^ What jlg65 said.

Keep trying and keep fighting for your identity. If and when you get pressed about the matter, stress that it isn't a phase and it isn't going to go away. Things will get better soon! Don't give up!

Hope this helps. If you need to talk, I'm here too.

7. jlg65

I'm sure its not that easy. It has to be one of the toughest things to do in life and it must be way worse not having your family behind you. But stay positive. Try finding some friends who will give you support and build your life with them. I know you need family, but maybe if you got a strong start without them, they would see that they are wrong.

8. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm really sorry that this is happening. Like others have said, try to show them that you are not going to change. Also, you said your in college, so maybe you could see if there is a LGBT support group?? Then you would be able to talk face to face to people that have been there before.

9. sometimesbetter

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You guys are great. I won't stop fighting for my liberation. If it comes up again, I will definitely say it again, until they get it through their heads.

10. jlg65

Awesome! Stay positive, they will see the light! You are you own man and you are free to live whatever life you choose

11. sometimesbetter

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Agreed. It's not my parents world; it's mine. They need to let me go and accept me for who I am.

12. jlg65

Yep. They shouldn't have to let you go though. They should embrace you, and they will. I wish you the best of luck and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers

13. Hidinginalabama

I got to say you took a really big step. Like jlg65 and Doctor Faustus said fight for your identity. Let them know its not a phase. Its not something that you can change. That this is you and you have not changed other than that you want to be true to who you are. Every thing gets better and if you need to talk or just want to chat some time I'm here for you.

14. sometimesbetter

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've tried and tried to make them understand that people are born this way, but they think being a homosexual is a Western concept and that everyone just goes through this phase until they're ready to be with the opposite sex. Non-education at it's worst. Seriously.

15. Emergelove

You may wanna read about Prince Manvendra Singh Gohil in India who came out publicly as a gay man. It is not a "Western concept."

16. sometimesbetter

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've heard about him! But it won't change their mind. Especially, since they don't want to talk about this ever again until it's necessary to talk about it again.

So far, I have support from my sister and my friends. That's all that matters to me. I'll deal with 'em again, when it comes time to deal with 'em again.

17. sometimesbetter

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's funny you talk about prayers. I'm not a religious person by any means, but I prayed hard for the very first time when I was contemplating coming out. My mind was telling me to wait, while my heart was telling me to say it. I was looking for a sign––anything––and I don't know; it just felt like (this may sound really cheesy) something nudged me to call my mom and tell her. Maybe it could have been my anxiety; I don't know.

I feel better now. I don't really wanna talk about it again with them until I'm actually seeing someone. I'm gonna take it one "mess" at a time. Until then, I want to be comfortable with my family––and, if that means I have to "lie", then so be it. I have hope that things get better with time. And I hope that they will in the future. Until then, living life, one day at a time.

18. jlg65

There is some higher being up there. I don't know if its God, or Allah, or Vishnu, or any of the other thousands, but there has to be one. I think that it would help if you found someone to be in a strong relationship with. It would prove to them that your happy, gay, and secure in yourself. And you would have another person to lean on if the going gets tough :slight_smile:

19. sometimesbetter

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    YOU MUST BE JOKING :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. I think my family would have a heart attack if I got into a relationship, let alone started seeing someone of the same sex. Let's just get to accept me first and then I'll think about being with someone. Plus, I actually don't want to be with anyone for a very, very long time. My initial thing is that I'd like to adopt a kid or two, raise 'em, love 'em unconditionally, and then see if I want to be with anyone.

20. jlg65

Haha, yeah mine too! But I think i would actually enjoy their shock!