1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out...How Should I Do It?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LdSlnce, Dec 13, 2011.

1. LdSlnce

LdSlnce Guest

I've decided to come out of this suffocating closet in February because my older brother is visiting. This took a lot of thought. I was thinking about it all day - I still am. And I want to come out and let my family know that I'm still the same Ld, but my preference with gender is not what they thought.

I am proud of who I am and what I am, but I'm not happy. I want to be able to be open about who I am with my family. Once I get through my family, I'll be able to tell friends if they bother asking. My family matters to me, if they can't deal with it...that's ok. Not all of them will be ok with it, that's expected. But as long as they know, that's all that really matters. At least that's what I'm telling myself.

So here's my idea...
    I'll gather my family up, take them to the living room, wait until they get comfortable, look at them all in the eye, take a deep breath and say, "I'm lesbian."

Sure it's simple, but...it's scary! They're all religious and against "gay marriage." I put those words in quotes because, let's face it, there's no reason to put the word "gay" in front of "marriage"! It's marriage and that's all there is to it. But back to the point... It's scary. What if I end up choking on my words and it comes out incoherently so I have to repeat it? I can't do that! So...:help:

2. Hana Solo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I went in to my dad and said "I have something to tell you. Ilikegirlsaswellasboys." I literally said it with no spaces I was in such a rush to get it out. If you can't say the world 'lesbian' to them, then say that you like girls instead. I had to repeat myself XD. It was the scariest moment of my life. But one thing I've learned is that people seem to label the behaviour until they know someone who is one. Having a face to put to a bisexual/gay/lesbian/transgender person, a face they know well, changes things.

3. sometimesbetter

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hopefully, yours goes better than my coming out (which is still a work in progress, but who said life is really ever that easy?). Let us know what happens.

4. LdSlnce

LdSlnce Guest

I'll be sure to do that. Look out for a thread in February with my name! :thumbsup: