1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out as questioning to GF

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by stilllovelyafte, Dec 14, 2011.

1. stilllovelyafte

So after months of debate and discussion on EC, last night I told my long term girlfriend that I have been questioning my sexuality. The whole experience is a blur, and my heart rate hasn't really slowed down since.

I asked her if we could spend a night together, and I wanted to fill her in on what has been going on with me. I was not sure I could take the step and tell her, but I went into the night with the intention of doing so.

After a few hours of talking and splitting a bottle of wine, I braced myself, laying the ground work for disclosure. Are you still in a place in your feelings for me that you can hear what I have to say? Have you moved on? Can I trust you? Once I have this conversation, we can't turn back.

After she responded affirmatively to my questions, I began reading the letter I had written to her months ago. The letter basically stated that I've always known I was different. There was a piece to the puzzle I haven't shared. I still do not fully understand what this piece is or what it means in my life, but I have been questioning my sexuality. Immediately, her face seized up, simultaneously displaying all negative emotions I could fathom - fear, anger, sadness. She struggled to sit still, as I kept working through my letter.

I explained how I spent much of my time in denial - convinced that these thoughts were the product of a tough childhood, obsessive compulsive disorder, or other convenient thoughts of the day. I explained how I never meant to hurt her - and when we spoke of shared dreams that I too did hope and dream to do those things and that I never would leave her if I had any choice in the matter.

As I stumbled to the finish of my letter, I sort of lost it - "I'm so f-ing sorry, I'm so f-ing sorry", "I take it back, I take it back" "Why did I just say that?" I was pretty hysterical. She lunged forward and just kept repeating, "you're going to be okay, you're going to be okay".

I felt the walls caving in, and I needed to get up and walk around a bit. We finally started to settle down, and we ended up having a conversation for the next 4 or 5 hours.

She asked me one question to which I stumbled in my answer, and I am feeling badly about now. She asked me, when did you first have this idea? I said I've always had this feeling I was different, not authentic, etc., but I really started to think about this in earnest a few years ago. While this answer is true, I can't stop obsessively thinking about the fact that I didn't tell her every single detail of my questioning. To some extent, the earlier details are irrelevant and would only be hurtful. Nonetheless, I guess old habits die hard - I began to obsess about this "other information I NEED to share with her." One thing is for sure: my mental processes need some serious work - this so transcends the issue of my sexuality. I just took the biggest step of my life - telling my GF of nearly a decade that I am questioning my sexuality, and in place of catharsis, relief, sadness, fear of loss, questions about next steps, I'm fixating on some arbitrary details! I've honestly wanted to jump out of my skin at disappointment with myself all day...

Back from my unhelpful detour. We ended up spending the night together - we did not sleep together, though I found myself very attracted to her throughout. We spent most of the night talking as well as most of this morning.

I started to explain to her that I have been trying so hard to tell her this, but I just could not do it. It was too big... and that I had spent all of my time and energy getting myself to a place where I could share this with her.

God, she's truly amazing. She reassured me that I am going to be okay and that she will always love me and be here to listen to me. She also promised me not to tell anyone else until I am ready to tell someone else - "How could I even begin to explain this to others?" She also told me she was oddly reassured to here this. She said she never in a million years guessed this, but she had guess plenty of other things, and she for the life of her could not understand why I would end such a great thing. She was able to stop putting the blame on herself. One unfortunate flip side to this is she then began to focus a bit on, it makes me wonder about our experiences, and how I couldn't know, and it's weird you might have been thinking about all of this other stuff, etc. My response - when I was in the moment with you I wasn't. Most of my questioning was confined to the night time, when most of the world was asleep, and I was left with my own thoughts.

So, to digest this all, while I didn't tell her every little thing, I put the main issue on the table: I left her because I was questioning my sexuality. While I didn't get into specific details about who what when of the questioning, I did get as close as I felt I could.

After a brief period of relief after my initial hysterics, I've been a pretty big ball of anxiety since. I wish I could allow myself, even for a little bit, to be proud of myself for taking this courageous step. I guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks, at least not overnight - I was going to find something to scare myself about...It's just in my nature.

Thank you all for everything.

#1 stilllovelyafte, Dec 14, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  2. KneeDragger

Congrats! Don't sweat telling her the details. I'm sure enough was said that the details don't matter at this point. I'm proud of you for taking the hardest step of the journey!

3. J Snow

Congratulations! That's so awesome! I know you just said you were questioning so I don't know if you think you are gay/bi, but I think if you choose to stay together you will be so much stronger for opening up to her. If you decide you want to try being with a guy, then I'm sure you two can at least continue to be great friends.

This is such an awesome step, and you did the right thing (*hug*)

4. jlg65

Congratulations! She must be a wonderful person to support you through this. It was so brave of you!

5. stilllovelyafte

Thanks all. I'm still so nervous. I don't understand why.

6. jlg65

That was a huge move! I think anyone would be feeling the same! It will take some time to get used to it!

7. Emergelove

Hi there. The details of your post felt so vivid...I feel really proud of you that you worked through a very hard part of coming out...the intense emotionality, the sense of groundless mess, anti-relief is something I experienced right after I came out. The immense sense mix of anxiety producing thoughts and feelings. I had a very similar experience... Stay with the feelings as you have and trust me that it will get better with each day...

I agree with everything that people have written here, now that I have had a similar experience. The honesty will allow for more closeness and clarity over time. And I agree with Kneedragger, in that already enough details have been said. Feel free to talk about those details with us if you'd prefer or like.

Congratulations...and yes it hurts but it will get better...

(*hugs*)

8. hiddenxrainbows

Awww I'm sorry you're still nervous and all that. :[
    Congrats on finally telling her, though! ^.^

Like Emergelove, I know how hard it is to tell a loved one something like that. Some months back, I told my boyfriend that I was pan. Being pan, it isn't really that big of a deal for us, since I'm still attracted to him & everything. But it was still really, really hard telling him. Even though I just told him in a letter, because we were separated at the time. And at first, he didn't really like it at first. I think he was kind of in shock and stuff. But now, he's fine with it. We were even talking about it last night. Omg, that conversation was amusing...XD lol

But anyway, yeah, it's definitely hard at first. I felt soo nervous and stuff about it at first, after telling him. But Emergelove is right. It does get better eventually. Just give it some time.

And also, congrats on having a girl there by your side that is soo supportive of you! ^.^

9. Daisy1

Thanks for sharing! glad to hear it was ok