1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taking it so personally.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by breakingboxes, Dec 15, 2011.

1. breakingboxes

Why do I take things so personally? It hurts every time I see someone like Bachmann say that we can get married... to the opposite sex, or Rick Perry's little commercial... I take it so personally... maybe it is just the stage I am at right now. I was so sheltered so the past two years have been a political slap in the face for me. I knew people opposed it obviously, because of the religion I grew up in, but I did not know SO MANY people are so ignorant...

Basically I want to know how others take it and what the hell do I do with the fact that i want to cry or punch something every time I hear something like those two examples???

---------- Post added 15th Dec 2011 at 12:23 PM ----------

Taking a shower now to calm the eff down. Shaking so bad.

2. breakingboxes

Nothing can stop us, They're not gunna get us!!!! -t.A.T.u

---------- Post added 15th Dec 2011 at 12:56 PM ----------

Does ANYONE feel the same way???

3. jlg65

Yeah, people suck. But we kinda rock :slight_smile: The way I have it figured is that its there problem. I think that we need to get into politics and make some changes, show those idiots who actually matter!

4. breakingboxes

We do rock. We are all fabulous. It just gets to me sometimes... Like earlier... lol... wishing we could delete posts right now.. haha

5. jlg65

Nah, dont delete it! I think it is important! It gets to me too, i usually just turn of the tv. The bad part is that my parents agree with it all. I mean, wtf?! If im gay, why the hell would i marry a woman(no offense :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) she's pretty much a dummy. WE ARE FABULOUS!

6. breakingboxes

Thanks hun!! Yah my parents agree with the conservatives and it drives me bat shit crazy... but thankfully I no longer live at home!

7. jlg65

Ugh i know! I cannot wait to be out of here. My mom drives me bonkers with all her antigay shit. Two more years! Then sweet freedom!

8. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I try to deal with it by remembering that people feel as they do out of ignorance, not rationality. Generally, when someone realizes that someone they know and care for (perhaps love) is LGBT, that changes their orientation toward the issues. It may not turn them around completely right away, but it sets them on the path: LGBT *used* to be something about *other* people...now it's about people in their lives, so at some level they have to confront it.

And if they can't/won't confront it...that's because of their issues and hangups as well.

So overall, I deal by being out, giving people an opportunity to confront us rationally and concretely...and by having compassion and pity for those not strong enough to meet that challenge.

AND by realizing that we totally rock!

9. Cymbrii

I've never really been one to be bothered by those kinds of things but recently I saw Donald Trump on TV saying he doesn't support gay marriage, and I'll admit it bothered me a bit. :/

I dunno why... I'm not very interested in marriage in general so I've never been too into the gay marriage issue, but just.. why is it so hard to treat gays as, yknow, equals?

10. breakingboxes

Jlg: I feel you! I couldn't wait for freedom. I left the day I turned 18
    Thanks BiAnnika, We DO rock. :slight_smile:
    Cymbrii: I agree. Why are we not equals... :/ it just hurts.

11. jlg65

We are equals! Unfortunately, society doesn't think so. Just vote for me as President and that will change!

12. breakingboxes

Yayy! run for president!!! that would be rad! :grin:

13. jlg65

Well im seriously considering it! Im only 17, so i got time! i want to make a change you know?

14. breakingboxes

Definitely! that would be FAB! thats an amazing goal!

15. firemaker13

Yeah I hear you guys, parents are just blah, I moved out 6 months ago and my parents I going through a faze. My life isnot a pair of jeans. Sorry about that I did not mean to go off subject.

16. jlg65

Well i have one vote then!

17. breakingboxes

Hey firemaker! Go off subject as much as you want!! we are here to support you!!!

18. InsertNameHere

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

<3 that quote.

And yeah, it can be very bothersome. Though really, it's not so much a personal thing as much as it is ignorance. A lot of the people who are against gay people were raised from a young age to believe gay people are horrible. It's not like all parents were telling their kid from age 1 to hate gay people, but stuff does come up when a kid asks "But what if a boy and boy got together" or however the kids are phrasing their sentences nowadays. I also think people who don't grow up around any gay people are just freaked out because it is a new concept they don't understand.

The best advice I can give is that if you don't like that someone is against your sexuality, then don't vote for them. XD Though Rick Perry and Sarah Palin 2.0 aren't even candidates anyone takes seriously anymore, at least from what I've seen. Though it's not like the main Republican contenders left are any better about the gay issue. >_<

The thing to remember is that you are living through history, and it will be talked about in textbooks later about how gay people had to fight for their right to marry! Times will change, and acceptance of gay people throughout the world will continue to grow, but until everyone realizes there is nothing to freak out about, there will be opposition. Just remember that they obviously just don't understand it, or they may even be in denial! So don't let it bother you too much! (!)

19. IanGallagher

Yeah, pisses me off too. I'd be the kind of guy to get into a fight over things like that and I'm not a violent kinda guy. Although wrestling does sound like fun lol. Many straight people probably feel the same way too towards those homophobic pricks. It all comes down to human rights and hating injustice. I'm probably not gonna marry a dude for example, rather a chick, but you guys? You deserve the right to. It's perfectly natural and the fact that people say you can't? It just bothers me. It could also be because I was born a second-class citizen though, the second I became an orphan. Forever rooting for people to have the ability to control their own lives and destiny.

Also girls liking girls included as well, I just usually keep posts as concise as possible lol.

#19 IanGallagher, Dec 15, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2011