1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you stereotypical?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mlpguy88, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm just trying to satisfy my curiosity here. I was thinking how our community is about the only one who can't really be identified if they don'e act "gay" or in a certain way. I was just thinking how I don't fit hardly any stereotypes at all, but my dad's cousin (not really sure what title that makes him to me) is the complete idea of what people think a gay man acts like.
    So I was just wondering does anyone here have a stereotypical gay/lesbian or any other type personality?

2. jlg65

Nope, im pretty normal. If you saw me, you would have no indication. I feel like some gays go out of their way to fit the stereotype and change who they are. Me, im just a normal guy who happens to like other guys! :slight_smile:

3. Hana Solo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Define the sterotype and I'll tell you :slight_smile:

4. stumble along

im not sterotypical im just on a completely different planet
    thats with my friends

in crowds of idfk
    i blend in

5. LdSlnce

LdSlnce Guest

Possibly? But I think that's pretty "normal" considering I've grown up with boys. So...not that I know of

6. Uniboth

I like to look presentable...which usually is the 1st hint people go for when wondering whether I am or not. The other hint I give off is the fact that they've never seen me date anyone. I'm nice but not shy is another hint. I can be forward with my feelings when drunk...might also be a reason. I prefer drinking with my buds than go out and get girls with them...can also be a hint. That's me...I don't know if that's stereotypical.

I don't act feminine...if that's the answer you're looking for.

7. needshelp

no, not at all. you wouldn't be able to tell that i'm gay at all if you were to meet me, see me or even talk to me. i think that i come off as a straight guy to most even though i guess, some people think i'm gay. but anywho, i think i'm the ultimate opposite of what a gay guy is perceived to me. i don't have a ton of lady friends, i don't act feminine, i act and sound very masculine, not a fan of lady gaga nor do i fit into the molds of a gay stereotype. the cast of 1 girl and 5 gays would hate me.

8. BudderMC

Stereotypically flamboyant and feminine? Not really.

To be honest, I usually worry I am, but that's what I get for being closeted. Not that I have anything against flamboyant/feminine gays, it's just not what I identify with, and not something I want to present myself as. Though, everyone I've come out to so far said they haven't suspected before I told them, and usually chuckle at me being paranoid when I ask silly questions (like if I fit the stereotype).

Though, I do bake a lot. If that's any indication. I suppose it could be perceived as more "feminine".

9. InsertNameHere

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I do think that some gays act "stereotypical" because that is the main image of gay people presented in like every form of media. >_< However, I do think some act that way because that's just how they are. Though I do remember one straight guy who acted in a way that many people thought he was gay, but I think people just didn't understand him. I guess he could have been gay, but I honestly just think he was straight and okay with who he was.

As for me, I don't really fit the stereotype. I do find fashion interesting sometimes, but I never really talk about it outside of watching Fashion Police with my mom and younger sister. XD I can be kind of crazy, but not really in the way people deem "gay."

However, no one should feel ashamed to be flamboyant! If you are just trying to discover who you are or just plain feel that is how you are, then that is perfectly fine! If, however, you are gay and don't act that way, that is perfectly fine as well!

#9 InsertNameHere, Dec 15, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  10. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    lol, I'm hardly stereotypical of anything. In the case of your question, I'm certainly not "butch", if that's what you're on about.

On the other hand, my partner and I both like Bass Ale (the female bisexual beer of choice) and gin (the female bisexual drink of choice)...and we both really like gin martinis (a gay/bi stereotypical drink). But we like *so* many things, it's hard to call us a stereotype on those grounds.

11. FJ Cruiser

I'm not stereotypical at all really. I'm an engineering major, very left-brained, and my hobbies include rock climbing, outdoor activities, and sports. My dress and mannerisms are like any other guy really, and my music tastes trend toward the indie/alt-rock. I have a certain "emotional intelligence" such that though most people wouldn't think to guess I'm gay, it doesn't surprise them necessarily when they find out. I've been living with three guys for a few months now, and they haven't even thought to ask.

12. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am feeling like I offended some people by this question, if I did I'm sorry. I've just always had a fascination with human behavior, and I have only recently accepted myself so this is the first time I have felt comfortable asking a question like this. I also agree with what some of you said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with being "feminine" or "butch". I'm just kind of curious because I think about 1 in 15 people isn't straight and I just want to know who fits these stereotypes.
    -Again if I offended any of you I apologize.

13. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Somewhat. Not afraid to admit it. And not changing my behaviour to try and be stereotypical as people seem to believe.

14. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dunno. I just read through the responses, and I didn't really see any that looked offended to me. I think it's a valid question, and an interesting one...I do think there's some ambiguity over what is stereotypical...but that's par. Personally, I find it fascinating that so few consider themselves stereotypical...almost like most of us don't like to think of ourselves that way.

And to clarify, I certainly did not mean to imply that there's anything wrong with being butch...I'm just meant that I'm not, and I'm fairly far from it.

15. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't. At least I don't think I do.

The last person I came out to asked me if I was straight when I told her I was in GSA. Although that could indicate she was questioning beforehand, I don't think she thought I acted stereotypical.

And none of my interests (except choir and musicals) seem to fit any stereotypes.

If I do seem stereotypical to anyone, well, I didn't go out of my way to make me that way. That would be trying to be someone I'm not. I've done that too many times, and I'm sick of pretending.

16. IanGallagher

I'm bisexual. Everyone can see my eyes checking out the females. But the males? I think only my Mom has noticed (I'm pretty chill and relaxed around her) and I still blush whenever I walk past a guy I think is hot lol. Kinda a natural nervous yet happy reaction... it's odd... I'm a lot more shy than most guys, but I think this makes me look more brooding instead lol. I'm also in the entertainment industry. I don't follow sports, I follow film instead. I think I give off the same vibes James Dean did, everyone in authority seems to latch onto me and wants to raise or groom me lol. Kinda cool. And not meaning to offend, I'm 0% flamboyant or feminine - at all - just a guy's guy who also happens to dig guys.

I grew up in small town suburbia with not many gay guys around. The only ones I ever saw were the overly flamboyant types in real life and on TV. I used to think that was a criteria or tell-all sign of being gay lol. Once I saw 'Shameless' on British TV there was finally an LGBT guy I could relate to and soon after I came out. That kinda shows how prevalent those stereotypes can be.

#16 IanGallagher, Dec 15, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  17. Ianthe

No one ever thinks I'm gay. Ever. If anything, I am more feminine than a lot of the straight girls I know.

Incidentally, your father's 1st cousin is your 1st cousin, once removed. If he had kids, they would be your 2nd cousins. The "1st" and "2nd" and so on are determined by the least number of generations between one of you and the common ancestor--in this case, there is only one generation between your cousin and his grandparents, which are the common ancestors here. Once removed means that one of you is a generation further down the tree than the other (in this case you). But it's fine to refer to any degree of cousin just as a cousin.

European Kinship System Chart

18. Artemicion

I have certain traits that give me away, but the vast majority would think I'm straight. Or it could be that I've been around very polite people, but I doubt it. I believe I've only had one person that's seriously asked me if I was gay before and it took me by surprise.

19. Bolin

On the spectrum of femininity and masculinity, I'm about at the halfway mark although I lean (somewhat heavily) on the masculinity end. I guess the only thing that would give it away is my somewhat feminine voice, but most of the men on my dad's side of the family have soft voices like mine. Other than my voice and a few of my hobbies/interests, nothing would really give away that I was gay.

#19 Bolin, Dec 16, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  20. Tracker57

No one perceives me as being gay. I'm very "straight" acting if there is such a thing. I'm married (to a woman--that's another story) so whatever "gayness" I may exhibit is usually overlooked. However, when I see it in pictures of myself, I usually think that I look very gay...but no one else seems to. Sometimes I think that I look really queer in that photo: but hey, it's for me to know and for them to find out.

We come in all shape, sizes and mannerisms. There is no standard. And I'm glad of that.