1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Craigslist snafu

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by abcd9876, Dec 15, 2011.

1. abcd9876

So lately I've been posting and responding to ads on my local craigslist site. I'm not interested in sex or anything too physical. I just like jerking off with hot dudes on the dl, alright? It's fun.

Anyway, I added my gmail account that I use for craigslist to my iphone and started responding to e-mails that way.

I went on for several days doing this, and eventually received pics from a couple of people I know, but didn't realize I knew them until after I had sent the pic of myself. Normally, this wouldn't have been a problem- I would've just stopped talking and moved on Then, I realized that my e-mail signature for my real gmail account had been attached to all of the e-mails I had been sending. Basically, my name was clearly pasted at the bottom of each e-mail for all to see.

So, my immediate reaction was to freak out, but honestly, I don't really give a shit. I work with one of these guys, and he had stopped responding once I sent an e-mail with the signature. I sent an e-mail back saying that I'm still (sort of) on the dl and that he should understand and respect that. Not sure if that was the right thing to do, or if that drew attention to something he may not have noticed in the first place.

There were several other e-mails too that had the signature where the person never resonded at all, so basically there could be a number of people I know out there with pictures of my dick with my name attached to it.

Most gay guys are cool about respecting situations like this, right? I mean, if I were in his shoes, I definitely wouldn't go out of my way to embarass me.

What do you all think?

2. stumble along

i think that id be more careful next time hahaha

but yeah im sure they'd remember what they went through and be ok with it

3. alex1170

I am sure you are fine. And if someone does confront you you could always just play dumb and pretend like maybe someone else is trying to frame you. Not that I am advising that.

Also, I have tried using craigslist with some success. The guy I am sort of seeing now (long story) I found on craigslist. it started as someone to jerk off with but has turned into more. anyways, I find all of the posts with dick pics just an immediate turn off. Just something to think about if you are serious about finding quality people on there in my opinion. I may be the only one who thinks so though. Never actually talked to anyone else to get their opinion on the matter.

4. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, quite a lot of gay guys do know what it is to be in the closet, so they're probably not very likely to break your cover just for the heck of it.

Plus, I imagine many of those guys are on the dl themselves, so they'd have to out themselves first before outing you (how else can you admit you were exchanging that kind of pictures anyway?)

And then, of course, there's the simple fact that they stand little to nothing to gain from outing you anyway. They could much more easily get access to naked pictures or sex from any of the other guys on there.

That said, it might be best to do remind yourself that, once you send pictures, they are out there. Identifiable or not, you wouldn't be the first guy to find your pictures in other corners of the internet. And while the odds of something bad happening are low, it's not 100% impossible either.
    So ideally try to make sure that, at the very least (i.e. if you're already set on exposing yourself to people who are, in the final analysis, strangers), any and all identifiable info is made unrecognisable or not shared in the first place. It's a rather big risk to take for something as ephemeral as quickly getting off.

5. Ianthe

You know, we always say, if he saw you in the gay bar, he had to be in the gay bar, to see you. I mean, what's the guy gonna do? Go around and tell everybody, "Hey, so I regularly trade pics of my dick with random guys from Craigslist, so we can meet up and jerk off together, and do you know what!? One of the guys was gfw266! I have a picture of his dick!" No. Not gonna happen.

If the guy you know from work isn't out himself, he's probably freaking out just as much about you. You might want to mention that you aren't going to out him, either. I mean, you said "if it was" you, you wouldn't go out of your way to embarrass the other guy... but it is you, just as much as him, right?

I mean, even if he's out, he would probably be pretty embarrassed to have his Craigslist hookups talked about at the office.

In order to tell anyone about you, whoever has pictures of you would have to account for why he has them.