1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Awkward gay Christmas dinner

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LorenzG1950, Dec 17, 2007.

1. LorenzG1950

My boyfriend has invited me to have Christmas dinner with his family. This is his older brother & wife, 2 nephews aged 3 and 5, and his grandmother. His family knows we have been together (more or less) for almost 18 months. I am not shy about meeting new people but meeting my boyfriend’s relatives really scares me. On the one hand, I’m flattered that he (they) would invite me.

But how do I act? It’s like coming out all over again :eek: . I know they’re cool about him being gay but will they be cool about our age difference, not to mention race and nationality? Will I get riddled with awkward questions? I’ll probably need a few drinks before I get comfortable in a family setting. And he wants me to bring my camera.

So how do I get ready for this? I feel like Spikey before his concert. Has anybody been through one of these family dinners? And how did it go?

2. Ty

Ty Guest

How old is your partner? Im sure he's told them all about you, so there gonna be nice =] they'd be happy that he has a loving boyfriend and want him to be happy too. Im sure as the alcohol flows, the evening will too :wink:

It'll be fine =]

3. CrimsonThunder

Yeah, how old are you and what race are you and him?

Hopefully they're smart and awkward questions won't get asked.

4. InaRut

Getting really drunk. Probobly a big mistake. But if you need to feel that a few sips of wine will help you get comfortable then maybe that's what you need to do. Just know your limit (and I'm sure at your age you do) and you should be fine. Also try and keep in your mentality that these people are just curious. Using the word curious might make it less awkward.

Tell us how it goes, I'm excited to hear what happens.

Good luck :grin:

5. LorenzG1950

He's 23, black, American. I'm 57, white, German.

Hope you guys are right. I already met his grandmother so I'm pretty sure there isn't too much about me that they don't already know.

6. CrimsonThunder

lol that is a big difference, we'll good luck ! They'll realize that you love eachother and accept it. =]

When ever I get a bit tipsy I turn into a bit of a slut. >_> If I was in your shoes I'd be hitting on his grandma lol.

7. LorenzG1950

:roflmao: :roflmao:

I think I'll try to stay somewhat sober. Wouldn't want to create a scene on Christmas. :rolleyes:

8. Ty

Ty Guest

Yeah on second thought, You'd want to be able to remember how good it was when you wake up the next day rather than not know how bad it was =p

But yeah, if you've met the family before, it should go well ~ Keep us informed!

Good luck!

9. InaRut

You can be tipsy and not make a complete ass of yourself.
    But in case if you do drink...and you do get over "tipsy"...Videotape-
    Youtube-
    Post-
    Profit!

Hahahah.
    Good luck :grin:

10. Ty

Ty Guest

No matter what i drink i end up an ass :rolleyes: hehe

Vodkaaaaaaaaaaareddbullll

11. Jim1454

Don't even think about it. You've been invited, they're well aware of who you are, your orientation, and your age. So all of that is given. Just go and enjoy yourself. It's SO nice that you've been invited for dinner! That's great! Have a nice time!

12. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yeah, I'd stay clear of the booze. You want them to know and love the REAL you not some drunked up version.

13. Louise

Some people on here will think I am a sales person for Rescue Remedy (homeopathic medicine) however, no so... promise. It has helped me face numerous emotional situations when I really didn't know how I would manage or wether I would be able to get through something.

As a dunderhead I don't know how to put up a link but just look it up on the internet. It really does work wonders, and avoids you turning up smelling of booze even if you have only had a small glass of wine.

Smelling of alcohol ALWAYS makes a bad impression.

I don't think they would have invited you for Christmas if they weren't cool with the age/race/sex thing. They will see you with their son, they will see the love you have for him and the happiness you have bought into his life and they will love you for it.

As a the older partner in this relationship maybe you bring him some stability that was lacking in his life before... parents like it when their kids are stable, I know I do.

All the best :kiss:

14. xxAngelOnFirexx

how old are his parents? if your like close to their age i'm sure they're going to find it weird and freaky. i thought my mom and her bf's 7yr age difference was creepy!
    i wouldn't worry about races though. its way more accepted then it was 10 years ago. like my best friend always seems to date black guys and i dated a black/indian girl for a while. i don't think that should matter. or maybe its just accepted here in Detroit because whites are more of a minority, in the city that is. its more white in the suburbs where i am. although we've got everybody. lots of blacks, whites, a few mexians, lots of asians, and lots of middle eastern people. quiet diverse.

#14 xxAngelOnFirexx, Dec 17, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  15. LorenzG1950

Thanks to all for the good advice, and to Louise for the Rescue Remedy tip. Just might be hard to find but here is the web site if someone else needs to calm their nerves (without alcohol or other recreational drugs).

http://www.rescueremedy.co.uk/

And Morgan, I don't know how old his parents are, probably about my age.

I’ll file a report of how it went right after the holidays. :thumbsup:

16. Louise

You can find Rescue Remedy in Tesco's, Boots and many health food stores or in my handbag, the glove compartment of my car, the top draw in my desk at work and my bathroom cabinet :lol:

No seriously Boots or Tesco's is your best bet. :thumbsup:

You can even find it in the pharmacies in France!!! But that might be a bit far for you to go!

17. InaRut

:-/ Well I don't know about the drugs Louise. If he's gonna stay away from the booze, best be staying away from the drugs too? Really the best bet could even be setting a proper state of mind. If you think it's gonna be a gladiator tournment of nervousness then it will be, however if you just think about what many people have said in this thread, you should have a tea party of calm and cool (and maybe fun).

This actually is a really good opportunity for you :-D So quit fussing.

18. Louise

DRUGS!!! *she shreiks indignantly* I would hardly say drugs, this is just a herbal remedy which helps calm the nerves and gives a feeling of inner peace. It's a bit like calling camomile tea a drug, except this really works and you don't have to drink ten liters of the damn stuff :lol:

You are obviously not from England; Tesco's is probably the equivalent to America's Walmart so they don't sell anything stronger than asprin.

19. Psychedelic Bookmarks

lolol louise you drug peddler!!!! :wink: (btw sorry i never replied to your pm about it - i wasn't freaked out, i just forgot. anyway, i won't be needing it, hopefully, because i came out to parents all by own-ty self! :grin:)

to lorenz, i would encourage you to go. they must have some desire to know you, or they wouldn't have asked. it could be the start of a good thing. also, if you don't go, how will you spend xmas day? at home, alone, thinking about your boyfriend with his family? :frowning2:

20. InaRut

Arneithel wins. That's a very good point. (*hug*)