1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Might he be bi/gay and how to start anew/befriend him?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by don29002, Dec 16, 2011.

1. don29002

I know I've posted about him before but I'm starting to like him again. He acts fake around his straight friends--he's a macho type and he's on the football team and the "model student" type.
    He's also in my geometry class. During class, every time my teacher needs help doing something--something not that big an issue or something catastrophic--who do you think is the first person to say something?
    Brad.
    Today in class I had on a turtleneck that extended up to my Adams Apple and the only person to comment on it was Brad. He just said "Donald I like that turtleneck". (or something, I can't too much remember exactly)
    I replied back to him--I guess I was fake as hell saying this too--"Thank you Macy's."
    And he didn't really talk to me the rest of the period.

Freshman year he was in my biology class, English 1, and my Algebra 1. I remember that he used to always sleep in class and we both got terrible grades on our final exams. But we got promoted to 10th grade anyway.
    When we were talking about something freshman year during Algebra he said "That's sexy, like Trey Songz sexy."
    After bio once and when no one was around he told me "Donald when you do that thing with your big, beautiful brown eyes"--widen them, I have huge brown eyes--"you do it like Ms Nava [our English teacher fresh year] does it."
    Back then, since I hated him for his stuck up ways, I didn't think twice about it and I laughed at him for saying it for 2 reasons:
    1) I wasn't out in school back then and if I came out to him I didn't want him spreading rumors about me;
    2) I was always afraid he was a straight fem.
    He's sang to me in the presence of our peers at least 5 times. He's the type of guy who serenades people to win their hearts, like Woody Harrelson would to Rosie Perez in the movie White Boys Can't Jump. (Btw it's a cool movie, I love it :slight_smile:

Anyway, I'm thinking about asking him out. But I wanna befriend him the right ways, since freshman year--and part of now--was a disaster. I wanna strt anew with him, that way when we see each other I don't want there to be any tension or strange gazes between us. I also wanna be able to go to him when I've a problem, and vice versa.
    Any ideas?

2. BudderMC

I don't remember all the details because I wasn't active on EC back the first time around (lurking at best), but I do recall there being definitive reasons why you ended up not liking him. So to play devil's advocate: what's changed this time?

Nobody can tell if he's bi/gay/whatever. That's kinda the baseline answer everyone gets here when they ask. Besides, isn't it kind of a double standard if a good chunk of closeted people don't want to be found out (and consequently try to come off as "straight"), but in the meantime we run around trying to guess everyone else's sexualities? If you really wanna know, ask him, or at least hint subtly.

Though I will say, again I don't know all the history, but I'd shy away from befriending him to ask him out. If he was friends before, work on that first. If you can't even deal with him as a friend, I severely doubt a relationship will work out (though, I've never been in one before, but I couldn't imagine dating someone I wasn't friends with).

3. don29002

It's been a love/hate rela. btwn me and Brad lately. He's MUCH nicer now--it's strange--but he's friends with my friend Layla and even she was saying that he's a sweet kid "once you get to know him."
    Even freshman year it was a love hate thing bc in bio he always acted fake bc his straight popular friends were in our class, making it harder for him to be himself.

About him coming out, I'd talk to him in private about it. That's what I was gonna do anyway. And I was never gonna befriend him just to ask him out but I wanna see what he's like outside school, what his personality really is, and if he lives up to his models student persona.