1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Idiotic Things My Dad Says

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by No One, Dec 17, 2011.

1. No One

I went to eat with my whole family the other night, and as our conversations always seem to do, we eventually got on the subject of homosexuality. After about 5 minutes of discussion my father managed to put "gays are like pedophiles", "gays are like murderers" and "being gay is a choice" all in one amazingly offensive sentence. This sentence was then followed by a nice mumble of approval by the other members of my family. I argued back against gays being the same as pedophiles, but since I had given him the same argument many times before, it made absolutely no difference.

I just though I would share the ongoing idiocy of my father and how FREAKING ANNOYING it is. :***:

2. Hana Solo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Your sidebar says your not out to your family- if you told him would it help him to put a face to the sterotype or would it make it worse do you think?

3. hml8

yeah does he know anybody who's gay? or is he simply spewing the same lines that he was probably told as a child?

4. starfish

(&&&)

You've posted many stores about your relatives over the years. It is clear they are ignorant and are perfectly content staying that way. You've got to be getting cose to finishing high school, you still planning to join the service? Once you get out of there, you can put them behind you and start your life.

Just remember you can't pick who you are related to, but you can pick who is your family.

5. No One

Believe me, telling my family I'm gay would be a big no-no at this point. I have the freedom to be myself right now, but if I confirmed their suspicions (they are afraid I'm gay) all that freedom would go up in smoke.

If only we could pick our family!

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry you have to deal with that on a daily basis. I think you're amazingly strong for just putting up with it and I'm sorry you have to be constantly berated.

I would wager that your dad *might* eventually come around once you're out of high school and out of the house and it's a choice of never seeing or talking to you or learning how to be more accepting... but he also might be one of the truly ignorant ones who would rather hide in his religious bigotry than maintain connections with his family. From what you've said about your mom, I suspect that she will definitely be accepting eventually... but obviously silence is still the best choice until you're no longer dependent on them.

I'm confident you'll find more happiness once you're away from being stuck with him.

7. No One

Oh I have no doubts that I will. I'm only moving about 30 minutes away, but I'll be independent, so that's good.

8. Friendly ghost

I agree that you are a very strong person. It's hard to tell who might be accepting of it, some might just be agreeing for no reason. But, it takes everyone their own time, but I would definitely wait until you are able to be independent for the seeable future to come out. Most people come around, especially when not doing so could very well be losing their child. Hopefully he isn't one of the ones that can never get past it. I remember being so mad and going off on a friend of mine 's dad who wouldn't accept his transgendered child. He's coming around too though.

9. J Snow

Sorry you have to put up with that (*hug*) I know what its like to have to deal with ignorant parents.

10. closetedafraid

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I can relate completely... My parents say horrible things about gays, pretty much what your dad said. It's really annoying, unfourtunately I just have to stay quiet because if I reply back everything I say would be "condemned"

11. ControlledChaos

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My parents also say really homophobic things. Sorry you have to deal with it, too.