1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tired of being in the closet. is this normal or is this something else?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by needshelp, Dec 17, 2011.

1. needshelp

maybe it's because i'm tired or sleepy but i'm really getting tired of basically being in the closet. i do not feel like hiding who i am anymore to people in general. i feel like i just want to live my life and that being in the closet is holding me back. i want to be able to go to the gay bar, go to the gay community, go to a gay pride parade, be able to post my picture on here and elsewhere and to let the world know that i'm gay and feel proud of myself for who i am instead of feeling scared, ashamed and actually caring about what people think of me.

but then again, there's that little hint of doubt that i have where i think deeply to myself, what if i'm not gay. what if i'm bi or pansexual. do i really want to come out as gay and let's say later down the road, i actually realize that the little attraction i have for women is more than what i think it is and that i don't like guys that much. do i really want to identify myself as gay? is this just a sign that i should just stay in the closet because i'm not ready, still in the process of accepting myself and that i haven't completely let go of the fact that i'm not straight and i'm gay.

i'm tired of feeling ashamed for this.

2. Hana Solo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Sexuality is fluid. Now you may identify as gay- but there is a possibility that you may fall in love with a woman later. You're still struggling so it may seem huge to you. I know it seems huge to me sometimes and I'm still struggling to come to terms with my own orientation.

The closet is stifling. I'm still hiding in it. But what I've asked myself is: ill I be happier if I come out?
    No. I'll be bullied, I know, because they have bullied me all my school life, so I'll spend my last year in the closet unless someone outs me. I hope that doesn't happen...

I'm really worried too. Because I sometimes find myself admiring guys. Even though I want girls, and the thought of a relationship with a guy freaks me out, I still find myself admiring them from a distance. So I do identify as gay, even though I am still minorly attacted to guys. But my problems are the same.

So I know where you're coming from and am willing to be a listening ear :slight_smile: I'm sick of being ashamed of what I am too. Not that it helps at all.

(*hug*)

3. LdSlnce

LdSlnce Guest

I'm going to quote my dad because he really helped me to accept who I am.

You can't let this questioning and doubting you have with you're sexuality dictate your life. You have been given an amazing gift - sure I don't know you, but I know you have, but you're focused on this one thing. And it's taking you away from the gift you've been given.

If you are, you are. If you're not, you're not. Don't worry about it. This is the here and now. You feel you are now, but if you find out later that you no longer are, then ok. Why? Because at the end of the day, you're still you. Your sexuality is only a small, small part of you. Don't focus on just that. Focus on everything else. If you just dwell and stress over your sexuality because you're not sure, it'll rear its ugly head in some way. And I hope to God that you'll be ok.

Enjoy what you have been given, don't let life pass you by because you have doubts...just live life.

Those were, more or less, my dad's words to me. But if you ever need anyone to talk to or something, we're all here (&&&)

4. J Snow

As it has been stated above, sexuality is a spectrum. I never know what to tell people when I come out to them. Usually I just say gay, and then the more in depth I get into it I just end up being like... "yeah okay, so I do find girls attractive, I just have never done anything with them and quite honestly don't see myself being able to be 'the man' like that."

Be as detailed as you want to be. Tell people exactly what you want to, and most importantly, do not be a slave to a label. Words are tools, and as such should serve us to improve our quality of life. We should never alter our behavior to fit a label better. Best of luck (*hug*)