1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by bardgrl, Dec 19, 2011.

1. bardgrl

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    OK, so first off, I am a girl and I am bisexual. I go to a combined Middle and High School. It is a Catholic School (I am not Catholic) and even though I like most of the people there, I am looking forward to *hopefully* switching schools next year. It is a mixed-gender school though, so it's not all girls. I am in 8th grade right now, and will be in High School next year.
    So, I really new to this site. As in I joined like 3 minutes ago. But, I'm here because I'm trying to be fully out. Last year, I came out to a bunch of my friends in groups of 1s and 2s. This past summer, I came out to my parents. They're okay with it, but they don't want me talking about it, and my mom thinks it's just a phase. It's better than a bad response, though.
    And this past week, I finally came out to one of my teachers. She was fantastic about it, and told me that neither she nor any of my other teachers would judge me. I was so happy. And I still am. She said I could come to her anytime, and if I ever need help with telling someone, she would be more than willing to help. However, she did say that the school I'm looking into would probably be better for me so I could be open about myself.
    Here's my question: Is it worth it for me to come out to my classmates, teachers, etc. this year or should I wait until next year, when I might be at a different school? I once received some advice that I could simply tell someone if they asked, and that way I wouldn't have to advertise it, nor would I have to lie. But the problem with that is that no one walks up to somebody and asks "Hey, are you bi?" Nobody I know, anyways. My second question then is, HOW would I come out to everybody?
    I am reasonably well liked at my school. I'm not super preppy and popular in that sense, but I get along with people well. I'm sort of the 'funny person'. Ergo, I am pretty well off socially. Even though I go to school with mostly republicans (who are known for being a bit more conservative) , a lot of the kids are open-minded people. That is, minus some of the boys.
    I hope you can help me with this. Thank you all for at least reading.

2. jlg65

Congratulations on your progress! Is great you have so much support. If you feel like you would be happier with them knowing, come out. If you are leaving though, it might not make a difference. Decide if you want people to know, but remember you aren't your sexuality, your so much more.

3. Hana Solo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    As the above poster beat me to saying, you're more than your orientation. We're all here for you if you need more support, and congrats on your progress!