1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Language problems with parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Remy, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Remy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Does anyone here speak a different language at home with their family? I find it sometimes quite hard to communicate due to a splitting of speaking habits and vocabulary in one language and the other. I came to Canada in grade 4, and pretty much all my "intellectuality in the arts" is in English. I wouldn't be able to argue or explain things well in mandarin, and I have a feeling that JUST MAYBE that would be a problem when I decide to come out to them /sarcasm.

Anyone experience anything like this?

2. Toneth

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i wouldn't worry about it, just tell them when you're ready, in the best way you know how, and take it from there, I'm sure they'll be able to understand, hopefully everything goes smoothly for you :slight_smile:

3. Remy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm wondering if this kind of thing happens often to other immigrants, where they feel that they're not really proficient with their native tongues anymore, and can't communicate with their family in their second language.

4. sanguine

i have this problem, english is a second language with my parents and it makes it hard for me to try and explain that being gay wasnt an option i was given, so i dont bother and just let the cards fall in place

5. Artemicion

I have this problem. But only on specific topics...like business and political jargon (LGBT stuff falls under this unfortunately for me as well). Otherwise, daily used vocabulary in my first language I can proudly say it's pretty good.

Um...For me when I tried telling my parents, it was...hard to get the message across in my first language which is mandarin, so same case as Remy's. I'm not particularly surprised though, since mandarin in general seems to lack or haven't developed new words for LGBT related things...they tend to borrow English words if I remember correctly. Plus, a lot of mandarin speaking parents (like mine) are completely ignorant on what being gay is like and hence jumps directly to stereotypes, but I don't blame them as the chinese media pretty much does not cover any LGBT related topics, if ever.

Urgh, sorry I went on a tangent there, but don't let my examples above scare you from coming out to your parents, but do keep it in mind as something to consider. Feel free to PM or leave me a message if you have questions.

6. Remy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    ^naw you didn't go on a tangent. That's exactly what I was thinking. I mean, even just gay compared to 同性戀 I find there's a difference in the connotation. I won't be able to argue in mandarin at all haha. Forget all the research, statistics, or anecdotal evidence. I can't possibly translate all of them.

7. wellhidden

wellhidden Guest

Practical advice... google translate
    But your right I also have a language barrier with my parents when they speak one of their many languages, I have only picked up a few bits and yea I cannot imagine myself getting into an argument with them and come out to them. Its just wayyy too much stereotyping and jumping to conclusions and yea.... im gonna get away from this hell hole ASAP.