1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stressed out to the max...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Chierro, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm stressed out, as from the title, but not even about me. Well I'll just come out and say it: My best friend has a son. He's 14, 15 next month, and his son, Jackson, is turning 1 in March. That stresses me out enough, but I learned something new today.
    The girl's parents are planning on raising Jackson as their own, with treating the girl, Hailie, as his sister. Anyone lost? Need some background?
    Hailie lives in Ohio, me and Alex live in Pennsylvania. They met and had sex during a vacation to New Jersey. Alex loves Jackson more than anything. Oh yeah, Hailie's parents don't know about Alex, and Alex's parents don't know about Jackson or Hailie. They'll see each other once, maybe twice, a year. They both think that having Hailie's parents raise Jackson is a bad idea. What should Hailie say to her parents or Alex say to Hailie? I need help people, I'm stressed out about this.

2. olides84

Well, your friend Alex has absolutely no rights here (and IMO doesn't deserve them either) unless he gets himself known to Hailie's parents, gets his name on the kid's birth certificate, and gets more involved. But still, I suppose he's not much in a position to intervene unless he and Hailie have a better option than the parents raising the kid. If she's just as young as he is, I highly doubt it.

Raising it as Hailie's daughter or Hailie's sister is another story. It sounds too much like a soap opera--the truth always comes out. Especially if he gets his name on the baby's birth certificate.

3. J Snow

Well, when it comes down to it, Jackson getting in the best environment is what is really important. I feel sorry for your friend, but he's still a child himself. As hard as this is for your friend, when he decided to have a kid, he decided to have to make some mature decisions, and I think in this case the most mature thing he can do is realize that his son comes first, and that might mean not being able to be a part of his life.

You say you don't think its good for the girl's parents to raise him, but do you think its actually a bad environment, or do you just think its unfair to your friend?

4. Ridiculous

As has been said, I think what is best for the child is generally the best thing to do. I think this would be having the child's grandparents (Hailie's parents) pretty much take all responsibility as they'll be able to provide the most stable environment.

However trying to pretend that they actually are his parents, not his grandparents, and his mother is his sister is ridiculous. Not only is it pretty disrespectful to the child (who will DEFINITELY find out sooner or later and feel betrayed), it's disrespectful towards Alex because he is essentially being entirely removed from his child's life, and is a horrible thing to put Hailie through a she'll have to try to pretend she's his sister.

This exact storyline occurred on Desperate housewives when Bree's daughter got pregnant. Bree wore a fake pregnancy suit and then raised the baby as her own afterwards, but of course everyone found out eventually.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One of the Madea movies had this as a storyline, and (as is the case in real life) when the truth came out, it was devastating for everyone.

This is a tough decision, but if I were Alex, I would first speak to my own parents, and then speak (hopefully with his parents support) to the other parents. This is a difficult situation for everyone, but Jackson deserves a father, Alex deserves to interact with his son (provided he's willing to step up to the plate and be responsible, help with child support, and so forth) and I think that transparency is always the best solution.

Alex's parents might also want to explore the law. Even though Alex is a minor, as far as I know he (or his parents, on his behalf) have legal rights as the father of the child. You might want to PM BlairSW, our staff social worker, as he'll have more insight on the specifics of how these sort of situations are viewed by the courts and by child protective services.

6. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    J Snow: I just think it's unfair to Alex that he wouldn't be involved in his own son's life.

Ridiculous: thannk you for stating the obvious: that it's ridiculous. Personally, I think her parents are idiots, but that's just my opinion.

Chip: Alex loves his son, he tells me and Hailie all the time, but I just need to get him to tell his parents, convince him that, that's the right thing to do. And I do believe he has a legal right to be involved in the life and descision making of Jackson, and if her parents question him as father, there are always paternity tests.

Jackson would feel lied to and betrayed his whole life if they did this. Especially if when they all got older and Alex tried to get in touch with Jackson...with a little help from Jackson's Uncle Nick of course. That would make Jackson hate his grandparents and his mom.

7. IanGallagher

Some of this will be hard to hear...

First things first, a fourteen/fifteen year old is not an adult and can not raise a child by themselves. No offense meant. But, thinking otherwise acts upon what's better for oneself than for the kid. This "me first, you later" act seems to be dominating decision making here - as it would for anyone that age in or out of this situation. The kid needs to come first.

Having the parents raise the child as their own is not an unnatural act. It is in fact, the best choice in this kind of situation and the most often used solution. Your friend, if he outs himself as the father, I'm sure will have no problem in being part of the child's life. It's not like they can go off, get a house and raise the child all by themselves - that's just not going to happen. They're fourteen.

As to how the kid is going to respond when he can understand? He's going to be angry, no doubt any way around it. This isn't like LGBT parenting, that's perfectly normal. This and the ramifications of this? Is a serious situation and none a kid would be particularly fond of. He's going to grow up not wanting to repeat the same mistakes. And yes, he'll view it as a mistake. Sorry to have to put it so bluntly.

When he is eighteen years old? Old enough that it can't embarrass him in front of the other kids? And old enough that he's mature enough to understand fully without becoming over enraged? He'll get slightly angry at first then understand it and be thankful for the sacrifice being raised as his mother's brother made. If his parents raised him openly, he'd go through hell over it.

I know how this post comes off. But, it's the harsh seriousness of this situation. And the only way he'll truly hate your friend is if he doesn't come forward and have at least something to do with his life. If your friend becomes the cool older unrelated brother? That'll eventually translate into the cool dad.

Take it from a kid whose father left him for dead forcing his mother to send him away for his protection, most of us are angry at our parents for what they did. We all feel badly about it in some way while trying to come to terms with it. We all wonder if we're a mistake. It's not easy for anyone, especially the child. It would have been really hard having my parents come back when I was a teenager or before that. Now? If they come back, while it'll still be hard and I'll have difficulty trusting them at first - I can let them in. My mother? I view it as a sacrifice and I'm proud of her. Now my father? I hate him because he ran away.

Basically saying that level of hatred? If your friend doesn't want to be on that end? Has got to come out to be part of that kid's life and has got to have his name on that certificate so he knew that his father cared. And as for being raised? Being that way is a sacrifice, it won't be easy on anyone - BUT it will be the easiest on the child and THAT is what should matter. In terms of broken families? I'm the kid. Kinda understand that whole mind process.

---------- Post added 20th Dec 2011 at 03:56 PM ----------

Basically the main problem here isn't raising the child. Fourteen/fifteen year olds can't really raise a child - they need their parents there to do it. Having the whole grandparents pose as parents thing is actually age old and someone in my extended family was raised that way and has a great relationship with their family. The main problem is your friend not being involved in the child's life. And if your friend comes forward about it? Unless both sets of parents are heartless - I bet they'll move heaven and earth to make sure that can happen. Your friend just needs to come forward. Nothing at all can happen if he doesn't.

#7 IanGallagher, Dec 20, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  8. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I get that they're young and I understand that Hailie needs her parents' help, but it's ridiculous to make Jackson grow up that way. If they were gonna do anything they might as well raise him like he is, and tell him the truth. Because hopefully Alex is going to tell his parents soon