1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dealing with me, and other gays.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Friendly ghost, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Friendly ghost

I am really coming to the conclusion, that though I hadn't consciously thought about it when most people seem to, I am most likely gay. I am seeing through my walls some and realizing women are lovely creatures who I adore, but I would really, really rather not have sex with them anymore. I am having a lot of troubles going any further though? It is very hard to imagine loving a man, or maybe rather a man that I would love? I don't know, but I think I want to find someone like me. I am not like most people, or at least from my point of view.

I don't know what I'm asking anymore. How do I deal with other people maybe? lol. I know I've heard this a lot before, but I don't seem to get the answer I need. How do I become OK with being gay and dating men. I don't care who knows, in a rush of obsession and impulsiveness I came out to several people only to go back in. I just need to know how to understand it better for me, I guess.

2. Debug

St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
    It's a thing of time, simply put. I've heard that a lot and so have you. Right now you are still stuck in a period between denial and acceptance. Right now you are in disbelief that you could love a man just like a person who is 25 and has never dated is in disbelief that they could love anyone. Only with experience will the reality become more clear... I think you just need some blind faith at the moment... if it turns out that you can't love anyone deal with it then... until then operate under the assumption that experience will guide you to what you want. (I believe I read a thread where you mentioned ocd... I could be wrong who knows... I've lurked awhile... just one ocd sufferer's thoughts to another)

3. Uniboth

I'm in the life-is-worthless kinda mood, so I shouldn't be advising...but, I like trying to sound wise so here are my 2 cents:

Truth is, this shit is hard... I'm sure everyone has their own way of dealing with it, but, since these are my pennies, I'll give you my way! I learned patience! Like Debug said, I let time do its job and started exploiting apathy... might not be a good thing, but, at least, I'm not permanently depressed like before.

Remember that sexuality is just a small part of your life. It's not as significant as people make it out to be...if today you find loving a dude repulsive, so be it. Not a single thing in this world can force you to love and want something that you just can't love or want (atm); and that include you.

What I'm saying is, live your life then love and want when it happens! Don't worry about your gayness, it's just a label. The only thing to worry about for being gay should ultimately and only be, '5-15% of the world's population isn't a lot, hope I'm not gonna die alone'.

CHeers bro!!!

4. Friendly ghost

Thanks guys. i think part of my problem with not relying enough on time, is that I still have a girlfriend. I had told her I thought I was gay several months ago, and created this hurricane of emotion between us. We were very close for 4 years, first love and all that. Neither of us had any control and her in pain put me in pain and I pretty much caved before I was even sure either way. I didn't even know I was in a closet until it finally hit me and I stepped out too quickly and retreated with regret.

So, I have that to deal with. I love her dearly, but niether of us can afford another break. So not being sure I am afraid I will finally accept soon and start the pain all over again. If only I were stronger, I wouldn't have put her through all this.

And yes I do have ocd, and trying to focus on what is real and what isn't is rather difficult. I know I cope with social anxiety by playing roles that I believe are there. I have a problem with being the real me with most people, sometimes I'm not sure what it is. I know the emotional attachment I have to her, and I don't think I could find it with anyone else right now, lol. But despite these mental blocks I seem to have, I am trying to figure myself out, without leaving a wake of pain behind me.

5. Friendly ghost

My thoughts are very disorganized when it comes to focusing on my own problem, and I don't always know how to ask for help. I'd really appreciate if I could get some feedback. I am sure its just me but I fear I push people away somehow. If anything, knowing what direction I could gear myself towards for not being so sporadic. I don't know, It's just making me a bit of a mess and its hard to tell people how badly its doing so because I think its probably trivial to most people.

6. Debug

Something I find that has helped organized my ocd thoughts from reality is trying to separate thoughts and feelings from your behavior. At some instinctual level you know what's really true and what's not... it may be hard to defer reality from fiction but ask yourself the question of what you want and go from there. Right now it seems you are leaning towards I know I am gay but I am uncertain that I can ever love a man... this uncertainty is making you doubt everything else and it's pushing you back into the closet.

You need to accept that uncertainty at some point in time... that statement could be the wrong decision but you'll never make a decision if you continue to go in circles. Live life the way you want to today... do some soul searching and find what you really want and go from there. Anything else that crops up in the future you'll figure out then.

Shame and guilt are powerful tools ocd has at it's disposal to make your life hell... you also need to accept that uncertainty too. You could be a terrible person and you could be leaving a wake of suffering in your path but today you're doing what you feel is the right thing... I'm not sure how helpful this is, hopefully something makes some sense!

7. Friendly ghost

It does debug, thanks. The endless thinking and soul searching I have done has given me a lot of conclusions and what not. I know the fact that I cannot 'imagine' being with a man, does not mean anything. As many have said it before. I've denied that so well it doesn't seem possible. I'm sure you can understand what I mean when I say I am spinning in circles questions I've already answered. I do know the answers to them, but can I trust them? I can stand ocd. I just can't stand this endless thinking I guess. I'm probably making myself miserable. I'm going to stop here before I rant, which was being prepared.

8. Debug

I can't stand the endless thinking either. Repeating the same circle of questions hundreds of times looking just in case you find a different outcome is a both a tedious and tormented process. The only thing you can do is try and trust the answers and see where it takes you.

I think something you seem stuck on is the notion that there is a correct answer. Let's assume the correct answer is I am gay and I can fall in love with men... you meet a man who seems interesting to you but he ends up hurting you... or something else bad happens because of this decision. The ramifications of this event could potentially be bad but are unrelated to the fact that it turns out you were right in the end.

9. Frustrated

Hello! I've just joined and was reading your post. I've been going to therapy since this summer and while I don't describe myself as having OCD (friends and family do!) I certainly can relate to the endless questioning and self-doubt.

I am 42 and married and have only awakened to my feelings the past couple of years. Right now it is the uncertainty that most troubles me. I want to come out to myself once and for all and be done with it but what happens is that I keep vacillating between acceptance and denial. My biggest hangup is being wrong about being gay and waking up one day to learn that I'm really straight and will have to have sex with men for the rest of my life. Being straight is my worst nightmare!

I just want to be at peace with this but am finding that it is going to take more time than I imagined. I think that I am very impatient and should probably give myself a break. My hunch is that I am on the right track but that I need to give myself more time, especially given my circumstances and how it is going to affect others in my life. I want to be gay NOW but know that I can't rush into it. I am so impatient and frustrated but maybe I should take the time to enjoy this wonderful journey in discovering who I am and what I really want in life!

10. Debug

Frustrated,

This may come across as very weird but it appears if you are suffering from ocd you may actually be suffering from a very common theme called sexual orientation fears. This is common amongst some gay ocd sufferers who in the process of coming out fear that they may be making the wrong decision and as a result of that you end up in a cycle of endless questioning and self-doubt. I suffer from the opposite of these fears (as in I am a straight male fearing I will have to live a gay lifestyle).

For every cry of yours saying "Does this mean I have to be straight?" is an even bigger cry of "Does this mean I can't be gay anymore?". I'm not sure the degree to which you are suffering but ocdla has an excellent four part article on these fears which may help you in coming out. A quick search of ocdla hocd will yield you the results you are looking for.

11. Frustrated

Wow! I just looked up an article about HOCD and have contemplated the possibility of something similar before. I found the article here: Sexual Orientation OCD: HOCD Sub-Types and Their Treatment | OCD Center of Los Angeles. The subtypes that best describe me would be Spectrum HOCD and Really Need to Know HOCD. In a way, the article confuses me even more, though, because I get the impression that someone suffering from HOCD is probably not gay, when I'm pretty certain that I am. I could bore you with the details, but what I am trying to do is convince you/build a case for me being gay. I'm afraid of not being believed / accepted because I've always been with men.

Here's the deal, I have no experience with another woman to confirm my gay sexuality except to say that my same sex attractions are very real and genuine; they feel totally right and I don't want them to go away. It's almost life affirming to feel attracted to a woman. While I've only had relationships with men, the sexual part was the weak link as I pretty much avoid it like the plague because it's totally not what I want.

Okay, I'll stop now because you know...I could keep going forever!

12. Debug

Well, frustrated, the case for you is that you are in fact gay but also have an anxiety disorder ocd. Basically, you are be gay but suffer from the same fears as someone who is straight who fears they are gay. The first part of the article highlights that this can also plague people who are gay which appears like it might be your case.

The case for heterosexuality you are creating is because of the uncertainty your are experiencing... you feel like you MUST be straight and so you create a case for it. That'll hopefully shed some light on your situation, so this uncertainty is the result of an anxiety disorder... you're gay and you can continue to enjoy your happy attractions :grin:. You just have an imp in your head making it harder to accept things!

#12 Debug, Dec 23, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  13. Frustrated

That is the nicest thing someone has said to me all week! I wish I could give you a big hug right now, Debug! You are such a doll...thank you so much for listening to me tonight; it has been such a big help to me. If I don't talk to you in the next couple of days, I hope you have a very Merry Christmas!

14. Debug

A very Merry Christmas to you too! Good luck in your questioning!

15. Tracker57

Friendly Ghost: I don't have OCD, but I do have a hard time organizing my thoughts. You may want to try journalling...just right down every thought you have. You will be surprised at how your thoughts will tend to organize themselves. And when you go back over them, you will start to see patterns and repetitions.

And relax. You didn't get to where you are in a couple of weeks or months. And you won't get to the next phase of you in a couple of weeks or months. Take time to get comfortable with YOU and then you can get comfortable with others. (And being bi is NOT a bad thing.)

Have a Happy Holiday!!!

Tracker

16. jargon

Hey Friendly Ghost! From reading your posts, it sounds like we've got different personalities, but similar situations. I dont have ocd or anything like it (though Im a psych major, I know a bit about it), I'm the androgynous type, and I am lucky enough to have a very clear type as far as guys that I'd date.

That said, I'm in a fairly-long term relationship with a girl, which is currently a mess (in part? probably?) because of my sexuality. I definitely have problems thinking clearly about who I'm actually attracted to now because at any given time, Im either biased towards liking girls (so I dont ruin this relationship), biased towards liking guys (so Im not crazy/so I wasnt just causing drama when I told the 3-4 people PLUS my school's Alliance when I told them) or some combination. Right now my libido's pretty much shot since thinking about any kind of relationship is just exhausting. And then there's the time-pressure of being in a relationship and wanting to either fix it or end it asap so Im not just dragging out a messy situation. So as far as the "endless questioning" goes, yeah I definitely relate.

I don't recall if there was any advice in there - sorry if Im just giving you more junk to have to read, heh, its late here - maybe this is more on the "support" side. I can relate, I know it sucks, and Ill be sure to let you know if I discover the magical secret to figuring out orientation, relationships and the meaning of life :wink:

17. Friendly ghost

Well, I didn't really want my this thread to be about ocd or hocd, but I suppose it kind of is. That article was interesting though. I am pretty sure I am gay, which I *think* is what my gut is telling me. I can totally understand how someone could have hocd, though most people would deny its existence. Unanswered questions are very troubling for me, and I'm sure others. I do want all or nothing, though being bisexual is ok, I want to accurately know which side I prefer. lol.

Debug: Thanks for the support, I really do appreciate it. It's nice to actually hear from someone else that they are going through similar things that I am. I know many people are, but I don't get to relate to a lot of people that often. I am trying very hard to follow my answers, such as saying I am probably gay. It is hard though. Doubt is the name of my shadow.

Frustrated: Hello and thanks for posting. I often wonder if I am a nuisance on here. Anyway, it helps me to know that you 'awakened' to your feelings at a later age. It seems like I always here people knowing at least since there teens, even those who come out late. Now whether they actually knew, or are just seeing in hindsight is hard to tell, but it appears that way. I am very impatient too, and impulsive unfortunately, and I would like to just settle everything and be gay, now.

Tracker: Hello, I have seen your posts a lot, and I'm glad you commented for me. I really need to keep writing in a journal, its just hard. I have been talking a lot, and that really helps, even if the people don't respond. I just have never opened up or been completely myself before, and it is very beneficial to be trying my best to do it now. But I think a journal would help, since most people probably don't want to hear me sort my thoughts out To them. What is a good way to do it? I feel like when I write I am just writing down whats in my head and what I am thinking, its hard to see any benefit from it. I just don't know how to go about doing it, like what to write about and consistently writing. Again though, I do have ocd and my spinning thoughts on paper are quite irritating. Any advice on that?

Jargon: I'm not sure what differences we may have, but the situation definitely sounds similar. I am very androgynous to by the way. I'm glad to see I am not the only one with that problem, well not glad, but you know. It would be nice to know for sure which way I swing, not just for me but for her. I love her, and she loves me, but I don't know if its in the same way. I also came out to people, including my mom, who told my dad, but then acted like it didn't happen. So not being crazy would be nice. I don't want to drag our relationship out either if it needs to end. If it weren't for her, I don't think I would have as much of a problem just giving it time and testing the waters more.

Sorry for the long post, didn't get on for a little bit.

---------- Post added 24th Dec 2011 at 11:35 AM ----------

Still reading the article.. This line is awesome.

"You simply cannot win when you play OCD’s game – OCD cheats"

18. Frustrated

Hi, Friendly Ghost! You are not a nuisance, at least not to me - I feel like your post and the conversation that followed with others has really been quite helpful. About my "awakening" later in life: I knew that I was attracted to girls in the past but buried it because I felt really guilty and dirty for it. It's more recently in the past couple of years that I've accepted my attraction to women and finally told myself, "I'm gay." Still, I sometimes try to talk myself out of it, but as my therapist has noted, I am doing that less and am becoming more accepting of myself as time goes on. The whole "acceptance" and "tolerance" for oneself is a new concept for me; I've put myself down my whole life!

19. Friendly ghost

Well I am glad to hear that Frustrated. Acceptance is not always an easy thing to do concerning ones self. At least for me. I've put myself down my whole life too. I am tired of doing it though, and I am glad you are too. You are a beautiful person.

20. Tracker57

Friendly: It's not so much WHERE you write your thoughts down...just the act of writing them down clarifies them and makes them real. Because you can't write faster than you can think, writing forces you to slow down your thought processes. And, they crystalize your thoughts as you put them down. The process of slowing down and crystalizing your thoughts are what are important. You don't have to put it in a little book. Writing them down here works just as well. Just think...you are probably clearer about where you are now than when you first joined this site, right?

I used to teach writing. One problem with "writer's block" is that writers want to get everything down perfect the first time. You don't need to and even great writers don't do anything perfectly their first go. What you have to do is write in a stream of consciousness style. Don't worry about periods, spelling or even making sense. Really! NO ONE BUT YOU WILL SEE THIS! (And I'm a little bit of a perfectionist on some things which has gotten me into trouble.) Once I realize that I don't have to be perfect and I give myself permission to do sloppy work, things actually start flowing. You can always clean up later.

Have a happy holiday!!! Write on my wall sometime. I'd love to chat with you!

Tracker