1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to make a non-awkward deadline

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BudderMC, Dec 22, 2011.

1. BudderMC

So, some of you may know that I tend to come out best when I deadline myself into doing it. Particularly if the person in question knows I need to talk to them; then at least one of us feels compelled to bring it up when we see each other.

Anyway, it isn't quite New Year's yet, but I've kinda already decided my resolution was going to be to be out at university relatively soon after coming back. That in itself is no problem; the only obstacle between being out at university and now is telling the last 3 people in my house. I feel obligated to tell them in person, since I'm living with them. Then I can go ahead with the whole Facebook thing and let it spread by word of mouth. (plus, having it on Facebook will pressure me into telling my family soon after, for fear they'll find out some other way).

I plan on telling them within the first day or two we get back from break (telling them separately, by the way) before classes get started and life gets busy. Normally I'd just text someone and mention I need to talk, at such and such time, but I feel like with that being a week and a half away it seems out of place. Does anyone have suggestions on how I can set up this talk without making it seem quite so awkward? I suppose I could just wait a week or so, but part of me is itching to do it now, again, so I don't back out. Thanks!

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is this something you want to do individually? Or can you do it all at once? If so, you might just invite them out for breakfast or coffee, tell them there's something you'd like to discuss with them, and then tell them.

Lex

3. BudderMC

I figured individually, since every other one has been individually, but I guess there's no real reason it can't be. The one guy is rather anti-gay (or was at least brought up that way) so his will be a one-on-one talk for sure. But the others, I don't see why not. Thanks Lex!

4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Or send them a text nearer the time.