1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I know who is right??

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by kylegf2011, Dec 23, 2011.

1. kylegf2011

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am not telling my parents Im gay yet, but I know that at some point they are going to find out. The problem is I have heard lots of opinions and stuf that say homosexuality is a mental disorder which can be fixed if you want it to be fixed. My parents believe this, they think gay people chose to be that way, and they think its wrong. But how do I know who to trust? There are many convincing arguments saying it can be fixed, while there are other equally convincing that say you have no choice. But I also wonder, what if there are people who have no choice, but Im not one of them? and I just "think" Im gay?

2. jake v

Every major medical institution in America says that it is not a mental disorder, and that any attempt ti change your sexuality will have huge mental setbacks and will cause more harm than good. Just trust your heart and believe what it is telling you.

3. Debug

St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
    There could be people out there who "think" they are gay but really aren't... but at the same time unless that thinking is accompanied by an ulterior motive that seems unlikely... what would they have to gain from being gay?

I think you should ask yourself what you want. I'm assuming you are attracted to men and experience genuine sexual arousal to men...so just "thinking" you are gay is out of the question... it seems like a reality.

4. J Snow

Yeah, it can't be fixed. Not that it is a problem that needs to be fixed. The people who try to convince you that it can, are religious zealots trying to spread their propaganda or make a buck off of their "pray the gay away" programs.

Organizations that actually use things like science, logic, research, and common sense all say that it is not a choice, it cannot be changed, its totally natural, and all attempts to change it are extremely harmful and the worst thing you can do. This is coming from the American Psychological Association, the American Psychiatric Association, the American Association of Social Workers, and many others.

The field of Evolutionary Psychology research also shows that there has to be a genetic component involved. Their is a strong correlation between a male being gay and having gay relatives on their mother's side.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKqKsXdokCM[/YOUTUBE]

Hopefully the above video will be of use.

5. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah...I don't get "convincing" arguments saying it can be "fixed"...there isn't a shred of scientific evidence this is the case.

You also presuppose that it is a problem in need of fixing, rather than just a way that some people are...and that some members of every mammalian species are. I don't buy that argument. There is nothing whatsoever wrong with me, and I don't appreciate suggestions that there is.