1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help getting over my trust issues...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Steven791, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Steven791

I have major trust issues. To make a long story short, every guy I've ever talked to or dated (save for one) has cheated on me. I have no reason to believe that my current boyfriend is cheating, but just from past experience I'm always afraid that there's another guy besides me.

We've been officially dating for almost a month now, and when we aren't together I worry that he's cheating on me a lot. I have no real reason to believe that he is... We met on an app for online dating that he is still on somewhat frequently, as am I, for the same reason: we've made a few friends on there that we still talk to as well as being on there for idle chat. He's told me the passcode over his phone and given me free reign to look through his messages and the app as I have told him I have major trust issues.

He's treated me better than any guy I've ever been with, he almost never lets me pay for anything, we've been on a double date with his best friend and he spends most of his free time with me so I know he really is interested in me.

But I still have these horrible trust issues. I keep telling myself that I have no reason not to trust him.. And as hard as I try to avoid it I always have some paranoia creeping up on me...

Does anybody have any advice on how to get over your trust issues? :help:

2. ICTOAUN

Its ok. I think its great that he recognizes your insecurities and can reassure you. You has seemed trustworthy so far. All you can really do is hope for the best. In relationships, a lot is up inn the air. You never know how your partner really feels about you, or what they are doing whenn you aren't around. But u have to trust what they tell you. this guy u r seeing seems genuine. My only advice is to not jump to conclusions right away that he's cheating. When u start to feel jealous or suspicious, take a step back and think "has he done anything to break my trust in the past?". If he hasn't, have faith in him that he is telling the truth.

3. Chandra

Problems with trust usually come from a combination of insecurity and past experience. If you feel deep down that you're not good enough for someone, or that you're the kind of person people are always going to take advantage of, you will find it hard to believe that you can find someone who won't cheat on you. Does that sound like it might be the case with you?

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Basically, you're just going to have to give it time. He's being very accomodating, so thank him for all that. :slight_smile: Then just get used to the fact that you've got these "hang-ups" that will presumably fade as your relationship continues on.

Lex

5. biggayguy

My trust issues have sometimes stopped me from even approaching someone that's flirting with me. It's like I'm thinking "If I don't get involved with them then they can't hurt me." However, that's a lonely way to live.