1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to not be awkward?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by stumble along, Dec 24, 2011.

1. stumble along

If any of you were ever near me in real life and we somehow met, you would by the next 5 minutes have deduced I was probably the most awkward thing on the face of the earth.
    I can't really help it and its gotten worse since after I moved (though its been a year and its gotten a little better) but I still have trouble being wayyy too awkward with aquaintances and new people in general. And then I get really shy and awkward whenever I'm with my parents.
    It's just terrible, really terrible.

And then I'm with my friends and then I'm fine...

except for that one time i was talking to a guy about something and then my friend blurts out " you two are really awkward with each other" and at that moment I wanted to just drop dead.

2. Marlowe

Awkwardness means a lot of things. I think it would helpful for you to say more about what what exactly makes your interactions with acquaintances awkward.

That being said, I think that regardless of the exact cause, you need to stop thinking that you are so awkward because you are probably not. I used to think of myself as a pretty damn awkward kid. And think this self awareness of being awkward made it worse because then I spent way too much time trying to analyze and self monitor for awkwardness instead of just putting effort into the social interaction. Secondly, I think you probably just need practice. At least in my case, because I felt i was so awkward, I avoided having to spend too much time interacting with people outside a close group of friends. Being socially competent is a skill and you can practice it. By avoiding social interaction I just made it worse.

And you know what, the last thing to do is to embrace the awkwardness. Maybe even if you do all that you can not to be awkward, you are still a little awkward -- so be it. If you master your awkwardness and own, the confidence that you will have can sort of counterbalance it.

3. Friendly ghost

Well, I may not be able to give the greatest advice, but I can tell you what I try to do. I am a very awkward individual aswell, but I am getting to be a lot better with it. I am still awkward, and I am sure I still look awkward, but working on not caring what people think really helps. I am very conscious of other people, but I try to constantly push myself to do things that I don't want to, because of how it will make me look. I am a horrible singer, awkward dancer, and ver self connscious how of I look. But, I try to do these things. I work third shift, and I get in and out of a truck and that has helped. I listen to headphones and I actually really enjoysinging and dancing, despite my lack of ability. So I do it. I know it probably isn't common for anyone to even see me, buit I don't care if they do.

So my advice would be to push yourself. Start off small, get comfortable with yourself, by yourself. I never used to even dance alone, despite wanting to. Then gradually do things around people. Just smile, know you are you and nothing matters. Smile like you don't care. It may not work, but it seems to be helping me. On another note, Michael Cera is very awkward, at least he looks it, and he is quite dreamy to me. lol

4. stumble along

some stuff that i think makes me awkward would be that i don't even look at people when i talk i stare eternally into something behind them. i also begin stuttering, and i when i first moved i actually developed some sort of stomach/gas issue because i was so nervous (not as bad now but still happens from time to time) so the noises my stomach made caused me to get even more paranoid than i was before. also, i tend to be socially unacceptably blunt and come off as short and harsh to some people, like unintentionally beleaguering them. and then for no reason my face feels like all blech and then i constantly mess with my face until it feels ok, meaning i make alot of odd faces trying to get it right. and when im with people i usually just tend to sit there and think to myself because every single time (literally) i get out talked by someone else even when im not mumbling. and then when im walking i think about my walking and then i start walking all funny and then it looks like im drunk and its just all. terrible.

and like i usually act this way when im at school or around the area i live because i have to put up with any repercussions to things i do, now if i was at a place where im staying like 5 days ill be the quiet one with the shades that does not talk and acts like a robot because i have no particular interest in talking to people i will never see again, staying a week or more however magically makes me want to be friends with everyone and im more out there because i dont screw up as bad and anyone i meet will end up on facebook or whatever so it's not necessarily the end of the world.

ugh i dont know its like some days im all wired up and then every once in a while i get one day of 'fuck this shit im doing whatever the hell i want; balls to it and fuck you other humans' whci is like (!)

5. Foxywolf

Oh geeze, sorry I don't have any advice but I too am a very awkward person. At one point someone told me that they had asked how I was doing to one of my aquantances, and that person said, "I don't know, still awkward..." guess its obvious to other people too.
    It's so annoying being awkward!

6. pronua

I actually have the exact same problem. Mine may even be worse than yours is. I can't talk to new people and i'm extremely shy in social situations.

7. summersforecast

Guarantee that you're really just overthinking your own awkwardness, I do the same thing. If you think less about it then it will stop be a problem, that is all.

8. stumble along

Ok, I have those days of not thinking but its pretty hard for to not think about even the slightest thing
    Like I have days were I think about my hair, but not what i wear, vice versa and then its like that with a lot of things and then every once in a while everything is a big mess of not thinking and its a pretty chill day.
    I'm sorry if I'm confusing anyone/everyone I feel like I'm thinking but not thinking at the same time and that may or may not make me feels like I'm awkward even though im not or i am awkward and dont know but try to not think I am or if I'm over exaggerating it or under exaggerating it which might make me feel more awkward even though I'm really not
    Ugh :bang:

9. Sunsetting

Sunsetting Guest

Wow, Stumbe along, you're awesome. Thank you so much for being genuine. Even though some people think I'm not awkward, I feel like a total herb most of the time; walking funny, awkward conversation, stomach grumbling, funny faces-the whole nine yards. I tend to be super self-conscious. But, as I've gotten older, I've gotten better. Most of us just want to be loved. Just keep being genuine; if people knew you, they would love you. What you feel is not who you ARE and let people know you more and more, some will love you, some won't and that's ok. It's a risk, but its worth it. I also really dig all the other posts on this. Peace man, love ya bro, me

10. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I turn 42 next month. And I STILL can't look people in the eye (or even face) when I talk to them. :slight_smile: It's just how I'm built. But I found if I just TELL people stuff like that - "you'll sort of notice that I don't really look at you much when I talk to you. Nothing on your end - it's just I've got a bit of a hang-up about looking at people when I talk to them" - they accept it. They realize that people have quirks and whatnot, and if I sound like I've got no problem with them, then other people tend to respond the same way.

Lex

11. stumble along

thats the thing too, most of the time i could not really give a damn whether or not im liked or not, as long as the few instances i actually need to get someones attention i get it or when i want to say something i can say it without anyone interrupting/ talking over me im totally fine with sitting in the corner with my thoughts. weird, yeah most likely, do i care? most of the time, not really.

Lexington, i personaly could not do that, imo id think itd make it even more awkward. this sorta happened at my club when people were introducing themselves, someone said ' hi my name is ____ and i have tourettes'
    barely anyone ever talked to him after that.

12. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Announcing you have tourette's, or even saying "Hi, I'm SA and I'm very awkward", isn't really what I'd suggest. Because doing so makes it the dominate feature of your personality. And I'm assuming you have more to offer somebody than your klutziness (and I'd like to think I do, too :slight_smile: ). It's something you bring up during the "getting-to-know-you" process. After you start the conversation, after you're settling in to things. I've brought it up with maybe a few strange looks (I think - I wasn't looking at them!), but no apparent change to the conversation line.

Lex

13. Coldwater

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I completely sympathize- I used to be a lot more awkward around people than I am now, and I still tend to feel uncomfortable around people I don't know very well. My advice is to push yourself a little at a time, to set goals like introducing yourself to one new person a day or to make eye contact every once in a while during a conversation. Since it sounds like you're feeling a lot of anxiety during social situations, not just awkwardness, you might also want to talk to a therapist. That might help you clarify what exactly you think your problems are and how you could work on them.

14. stumble along

and here is where it might be obvious, like i have almost no problem looking at girls straight in the eye, its mostly with people older than me and guys. and i also get along better with people not my age. i kind of put it up to me being really competitive, but i don't see how it explains me not being able to look a guy in the eye and talk, since i like to be the one on top (in all context of the word except for sexually)

as for looking people in te eye when i talk, i found it better to avoid that and instead focus on something around their eyes, like the top of their nose, but even then i find it uncomfortable because i always imagine them being like 'wtf is there something on my face'

:bang: frustrated

15. Friendly ghost

I am extremely self-conscious, and very competitive as well. I also often hold myself lower then other people, though I constantly try to strive to be better and prove that I am better then everyone. I know I have more self-awareness then others, and when it comes to intelligence, most of the people I see I'm not too worried about. I kind of carry an arrogance and low self-esteem. As I said before, it comes to pushing yourself all the time, and not caring so much what others think. But eye contact is different. There is a lot of things going on when you make eye contact. For me, I have to keep it in my head that I am at equal with whoever I'm talking to. Different in many ways, but no less of a person. Dominate the eye contact. Its an odd word to use, but its true. Every now and then I get someone that makes it weird and won't stop making eye contact, but most people don't do that.

Sorry if this post seems very odd, but I was hoping to explain where I was coming from.

16. andersonh09

andersonh09 Guest

I'm extremely awkward as well, I didn't talk until a very late age and I'm 21 now and still have trouble starting up, or holding conversations. However whenever I make some comment about being awkward to my friends they say I'm not that awkward at all. You may not be as awkward as you think you as you think. You've probably heard that a million times, but try not to think about your awkwardness so much, and even though it can be super hard, try not to care so much what other people think. If you have trouble on the phone, maybe try rehearsing what you want to say before hand, if you are uncomfortable looking people in the eye, starting trying to do it for short periods of time while holding a conversation. Hope this helps, I wish you the best of luck with everything.

17. ukeye

ukeye Guest

I feel pretty bloody awkward a lot of the time too.. if I go to the store and buy something, I hate making eye contact with the clerk and will stare at the counter or the floor lol.. I think a lot of people are awkward, even moreso with all the technology and anti-social outlets we have these days, there just isn't as much social interaction. Awkwardness stems from us thinking we have to act or be a certain way.. some days these thoughts invade me more than others, and on those days I feel more awkward. I doubt anyone else notices these shifts in my self consciousness though. What people say here is true - be yourself, be genuine and try not to over think it - we are all special in our own right lol