1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Talking to people

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Charni, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Charni

Charni Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    (Sorry for another thread. I promice you I don't have many problems left) I have a lot of trouble talking to people. I am not shy, I just don't really know how to. I only have three good friends, my girlfriend, my best friend and my video gaming buddy. Everybody else at school just doesn't talk to me or hates me for some strange reason. As a result I can't sustain conversations for a while and I talk "strangly". Can anybody help?

2. Marlowe

People relate to one another differently. I find that I have a difficult time in situations with a lot of people especially when I don't know them well. For a number of reasons, I prefer to have a small group of really close friends. That is not to say that I don't have a second circle of people with whom I am friendly, but in my obsessive ranking of circles of people I know, I would not consider them friends. It has taken me a long time to be able to function well with people I don't know. Honestly, all I can say is that it takes maturity and practice. We are endowed with a different set of social skills than other people which allows us to thrive with only a close group of friends, where other people need large groups of people. In order to make up for the skills you don't have you practice like anything else. While I won't say you have to actively seek out social situations, don't shy away from them.

As for talking "strangely" not sure what this means. Maybe you can tell me a bit more.

3. Charni

Charni Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I use wording that is not what most people would use. I jave been reducing it here on EC. I use longer words that people usually don't have an understanding of.

4. DhammaGamer

High school is an awkward time and place in general. Just keep ur chin up and focus on your grades.

5. Debug

St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
    Life will get better after high school, as everyone says, just make it through high school and things will get a lot better.

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know that I have trouble talking to people sometimes too. I've gotten a lot better since I've gone to college. There are more people that I can relate to there then there were in high school.

7. Charni

Charni Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    The strange thing is I can relate to everybody once they give me a reasonable chance. I just can't sustain a lengthy conversation for a reasonable period of time. This is how I usually converse with others.

8. sanguine

dont try too hard.

you also have to ask yourself who are you trying to impress
    if the answers no one, dont bother.

but if you really want to improve communication skills, i suggest maybe being more friendly and open to conversations, rather than thinking about how to initiate them, and it's much more easier if you have common interests like what you said about having a gaming buddy, or a favourite subject at school, maybe a teacher you also hate with other peers, stuff like that.

just remember not to make the other person feel like they need to cut the interaction because you feel uncomfortable talking to them also.

And never forget your priorities/loyalties to your real self and friends