1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this a good idea?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mimerio, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Mimerio

I have written a coming out letter to my parents, and I plan on waiting till after the New Year is out of the way to send it to them, is it good to wait so that they are settled back into work? or will it just bring more stress.

2. Aeon Magus

It's awfully nice of you to be as considerate to your parents, so if you are intent on waiting for your parents to settle back into their work routines, so that they won't be as "stressed" when receiving your news, then by all means - wait. You decide when and how to enlighten them on who you are.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The general rule is that there's never a "perfect time" to do it.

If they're in a bad mood, you might think "they've got enough on their plate - I'll wait."
    If they're in a good mood, you might think "well, I don't want to spoil that - I'll wait."

Just pick a time and go for it. :slight_smile:

Lex

4. BudderMC

^ What Lex said.

Though for myself, I find it important to make sure I'm doing it at a point where both I and they aren't doing anything - even if it's for the next half hour - just in case a proper sit-down discussion is needed. I feel like there wouldn't be anything worse (to me) to drop potentially big news and then have to leave right away. I picture it like I'd be "running away", even though I know I wouldn't be on purpose. Or even worse; you (or them) being forced to leave because of prior commitment when you're having a really awesome, accepting, etc. conversation about it.

I mean, you've had the guts to bring up the topic, might as well sit and finish it the first time around. :slight_smile:

5. Marlowe

There really is no good time. Do whats good for you, and even then it might not pan out. I sent my letter to my parents and it turns out that my dad had lost his job and my mom decided not to share it with him because he was under a lot of stress. It's nice that you are being considerate, but it probably won't make a big difference unless you are worried this will ruin their vacation and they will hold that against you. I also wanted to be considerate, so if I were in your position, I would wait so that they can enjoy their vacation without having to think about this. (Not in a bad way, just that for all but the most accepting parents this is something they need to get used to). Still there other side might be that once they are back at work this is one more thing to process on top of that. A small warning, though: regardless of your decision, don't use this as an excuse to avoid sending it to them. Send it New Years day or the next.

6. summersforecast

Personally, I think that setting a certain time to come out to people isn't the most natural way to go about it. You have to feel out for the right time to tell them. And a night filled with excitement might not be idea. You want them to be calm and rational. As far as a written letter, this idea is golden! This way you can develope your thoughts clearly and say things that you normally couldn't to them. Personally I would write a letter containing all of what you want them to know, and then wait for a time when they're not particularly stressed or excited and you can give it to them and leave. Drop it like a bomb, get the hell outta there. Come back in a little while and talk to them about what they've read. Hope I helped,

Carl