1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm trying to ease coming out.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by alex7song, Dec 28, 2011.

1. alex7song

Hey everyone! So basically I am out to two friends as gay and my mom as bi (i told her when i was still hoping i could be straight). To make it easier, is there anything i can do (that wont cost anything bc i dont want my parents to know) that will make me seem like I am more gay? I'm not trying to stereotype, but i just want something that may tell people that I am gay just by taking a glance at me. People used to ask me whether I was gay ALL the time, and i said no because i was scared, but now no one asks me (which i would like because it makes it SOOO much easier when they ask). So if you could offer any advice as to this that would be great! Thank you so much :grin:!

2. sparx

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    First of all, are you sure thats what you wanna do? Being yourself is just so much better than trying to prove something to everyone..
    Anyway, you could stick a gay flag to your jacket or something =P

3. alex7song

I get what you are saying, but being gay is a part of me too, and I would like to let people know. I go to a school that is really nice and accepting (im lucky in that regard :grin:) so I don't think i would have any problems with people. Anyways thanks for the help, and i love your picture!

4. WSPXRT

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    You could always make out with a dude in public or wear a shirt that says I like men. That might give it away.

5. Jerseyboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know a guy that gets the point across with an "I only look straighr" t-shirt if you wanna take that approach. I know what you mean and everything, but I wouldn't do something that's not you, you know? Like now that I've accepted myself and I'm in college, I've let myself wear shit that I thoughted would've outed me in high school, basically just a lot of v-necks and flip flops year round. Sure maybe part of the reason was so its easier for other people to get that "hmm maybe he is gay" mentality without me telling them, but I think majority of it is because I'm just finally letting myself wear the clothes that I wouldn't before. Just be yourself. You don't necessarily have to get a gay tattoo so other people will know, maybe just like a rainbow braclet or something.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here are some ideas I've seen others use

-- Wear a rainbow wristband
    -- Tie a pink ribbon around your backpack
    -- Get a piece of jewelry with a pink triangle or lambda sign
    -- Get an "I'm not gay, but my boyfriend is" shirt

And for the record, if a bunch of people have asked you if you're gay... they probably already know in spite of your denials, and likely won't care that you told them otherwise. Most people realize it's hard for people to come out.

I'm sure there are a ton of other ideas, but I agree with the poster who said to be yourself; don't be intentionally swishy or otherwise do something to exaggerate yourself. Subtlety is your friend and will do the job soon enough. :slight_smile:

7. Sunsetting

Sunsetting Guest

i would agree that just being you will let people know in time. gradual is always better for any kind of lasting relationship, which is what i dig

8. IanGallagher

Personally, I think it's a big mistake trying to pass yourself off as bi when you're evidently not. Doing so not only are you not being true to yourself, you're also furthering the stereotypical image of "bi now, gay later" which makes life a lot harder on those who are actually bi. If your parents accept that you like guys, no label is going to matter to them. Just tell them that you took time to think about it, didn't want to admit it, but after much thought realized that you are actually gay. They'll be there for you all the same. Liking guys is still liking guys.

As to appearing gay? I really don't think anyone should go out of their way to conform. Do what you've always done in the past, but probably be more open about liking guys. If any of the 'showy' things suits you personally and is not just doing it to be showy - do that. Best advice is to be yourself.

#8 IanGallagher, Dec 28, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  9. Menaki-Neko

Fargo North Dakota, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    I'm not to sure if it's a good idea. If your parents were okay with the idea of you being Bisexual, than I'm pretty sure that they will be okay with you being Homosexual. Just sit down and tell them. Explain to them that you said you were Bisexual just to make it easier.

10. Hidinginalabama

Well here is what I think. If people are not asking if your gay then there is a good posobilty that they already know or think you are. And I totally under stand what you mean. People would ask me all the time before I came out but now nuthing and I realize it cause its not a big deal to people as much as it once was years ago. And for trying to be very open about you being gay I think the rainbow flag shirt is a good one. Me myself I wear a pink shirt. Most people just look at me and know. And I love the idea that chip had Get an "I'm not gay, but my boyfriend is" shirt

11. Ianthe

Get involved in something in the gay community. Then, you can talk about it in casual conversation.

Or, get a T-shirt with Adam Lambert on it. I think his Glam Space tour T-shirt is especially gay looking, with the suggestion of the pink triangle.

Okay, that last one is mostly a joke, even though it would probably work. I realize it doesn't fit your "no money" requirement.