1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting Fit Log, Advice And Support Thread

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Robert, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Basically, I'm looking to get fit. My big goal is to build a lot of muscle and get a six pack. Its probably quite an unrealistic goal but I'm going to give it a go anyway.

The point of this thread is to keep me motivated. I'm going to log every single peice of exercise I do from now on. You are most welcome to call me on my shit if you dont think I'm doing enough. Advice is most welcome. Also, feel free to join in with me if you wish.

So far:

20 sit ups while sitting at my computer.

2. IanGallagher

Join a gym, if possible get a personal trainer. In a month I went from being a guy with a gut, I thought I was an endomorph, to discovering I'm actually a mesomorph. The gut has completely disappeared.

Keep at it.

3. Dalmatian

If you haven't yet, check out Fitocracy. It's exactly what you are looking for.

4. Hana Solo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Best of luck!

5. Ridiculous

How do you do sit ups at a computer? I'm not sure how effective this would be, although I'm imagining someone sitting at a computer and therefore making it pretty difficult to do a sit up.

Are you doing sit ups or crunches? Sit ups are not a very good exercise because it causes you to pivot at the hips, which doesn't target the abs very well.
    Crunches, where only the upper body is raised off the floor and the head is raised directly towards the ceiling (your neck shouldn't bend and you shouldn't pull your head forward) are more effective because the abs are doing all the work.

How long do you take for each sit up/crunch? Each one should take about 5 or 6 seconds: 2 seconds going up, 1 second at the top, 2 seconds down, 1 second at the bottom. The amount of time that your muscles are under tension is more important than how many you can do (this 6 second rule goes for pretty much any weight bearing exercise - pushups, squats, whatever).

Good luck!