1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MTF - 7 Transsexual Secrets to a Long Lasting Shave

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Katelynn, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Katelynn

I found these tips whilst traversing the interwebs, & thought it may help some of my fellow EC sisters! Ive already started following this, & Im really happy with how well it has worked out for me so far!

Transsexuals face many challenges, but perhaps none as frustrating as the battle of the beard. Shaving is fast and easy, but can lead to razor burn and ingrown hairs, not to mention the frustration of seeing a beard shadow after only a few hours.

While there is nothing you can do to stop your beard from growing (aside from painful electrolysis), it is possible for any Transsexual to have a soft, smooth, feminine face.

Here are seven secrets to getting the smoothest, longest lasting shave possible:

1. Avoid shaving first thing in the morning. Most people wake up with slightly puffy skin in the morning. You’ll get a closer shave if you wait 20-30 minutes for the skin to tighten, exposing more of the hair shaft.

2. Prep your skin. Take a shower or wrap a hot, moist towel around your face and neck for several minutes before shaving to soften your beard and open up the hair follicles.

3. Always exfoliate. Use a washcloth or an exfoliating scrub on your face to eliminate dead skin cells and raise hair stubs for a closer shave.

4. Use a regrowth slowing shaving cream. For a long lasting shave, use a shaving cream, such as Aveeno’s Positively Smooth Shave Gel, designed to slow hair regrowth. Avoid shaving creams containing menthol, as they can dry out the skin.

5. Select a great razor. A great shave depends upon a great razor. Most Transsexuals agree that the Gillette Sensor Excel is the ultimate tool for the job.

6. Don’t use a dull blade. Never use the same blade more than two or three times since dull blades can lead to razor burn and ingrown hairs. As a matter of fact, I suggest using a fresh blade every time you go en femme.

7. Do a two step shave. A great pre-femme shave should be done in two steps: first, shave in the direction of hair growth. Then lather again, this time shaving against the grain for an even closer cut. Be sure to use small, gentle strokes to avoid irritation.

Another option for hair removal that is less expensive than electrolysis or laser hair removal (but not really a permanent replacement for either), is to use an epilator. The best on the market is the NoNo, but it is pricey in & of itself. While the above extols the virtues of the Sensor Excel, I myself am using Simply Venus razors at the moment, & Im quite happy with how well they do the job! Im alo using Skintimates shave gel for sensitive skin, which has been so much better for everywhere I shave, like my legs & bikini area, but especially on my face. Like it says above, just check to make sure it doesnt have menthol in it. I also moisturize after shaving, like crazy. For my face, I use Nivea cream, & everywhere else I use St Ives body lotion. Hope this helps for anyone who needs it! (&&&)

#1 Katelynn, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  2. DhammaGamer

Wow thanks for the tips definitely useful