1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What should I do?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by 20yearold, Dec 29, 2011.

1. 20yearold

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've just turned 20 and its really made me think about who I am. I've been attracted to men since puberty started but I've tended to suppress it as I am naturally quite shy and was far too confused to actually 'come out' to anyone.
    Now though I'm pretty sure that I am gay and its time to do something about it. So my question to the forum is this: what should I do about it? I don't think telling my immediate family would be that hard compared to a lot of people's experiences as they're not really homophobic. They might be surprised though as I'm fairly 'straight acting' and its obviously always going to be difficult as I'm not great at confrontation or talking about feelings. My main worry about doing this though is that maybe I am straight, I've never actually been in a relationship with a guy, what if I came out and then found out it was just a fantasy and not something I'd ever be inclined to actually act on or enjoy?
    I think my other option would be to try and get some sort of experience of being gay before telling my friends and family, I could do this by joining my university's LGBT society or doing online dating or something. That way I could be more confident about my sexuality before telling people. The worry with this is that it seems so dishonest and I'll need the confidence to actually go through with it.
    Has anyone got any advice for me about what I should do? What was the first step towards coming out for you? Anyone else in a similar situation?

2. Hana Solo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'll reinterate what LDsince told me here. (shoutout!)

Don't dwell on your doubts. If you like men NOW, thats all thats important. Who you may or may not like in the future has no bearing on who you like now.

Okay, maybe I paraphrased a little but its the basics of it :lol:

It sounds like you are gay to me, but I'm no expert.

My coming out? First I expressed my doubts to my boyfriend, who I trust unconditionally, and who was questioning his gender at the time. Then I told my best friend. That was the hardest coming out. The first is always the hardest.

After I told my dad- which amounted to 'Ilikegirlstoo' and had to repeat myself >.< it got way easier. As you accept it as part of you then it gets easier, more matter of fact, each time, and as you become more secure in yourself, what other people say doesn't matter as much to you.

You don't need a gay experience to know. I've never been with a girl and I know I like girls :slight_smile: at least, not a biological one. My girlfriend is trapped in a boy's body :frowning2:

(*hug*) best of luck.

3. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You sound just like me, one thing I have learned is you don't have to put a time frame on coming out, also you don't have to have sex to know who you are. Just try to feel happy with yourself and the rest will seem less daunting. I wish you the best

4. BudderMC

Well, that's awesome first off. Are you the type of person who confides in their family for advice when you're having problems, even academic/work/social/something else? If your regularly trust them with your problems, then I'm sure telling them your concerns about your sexuality wouldn't be any different. You don't have to outright label yourself as straight, gay, bi, pan, etc., just go ahead and explain what you told us here. Let them know that you've had these thoughts for a while now, and even though you haven't had any experiences with boys (or girls?), you think you're leaning towards liking guys.

The thing with this is even if you aren't good at bringing up your problems, if your family is a good group in the sense that they pick up on when someone is dealing with something, they very well might check up with you to make sure you're okay. That same group of people is likely to be inclined to be pretty concerned if you tell them "nothing, it's fine". So even if you can't verbalize it, try and build up the confidence to get your message across. Consider telling a friend first if that's more comfortable for you, or even just show them what you wrote here. Anything you can do to express your feelings will help.

And remember, you don't ever need to justify or prove your sexuality to anyone, including yourself. Sexuality is fluid, so don't worry too much about labels, unless you feel they simplify things for you. Just worry about liking whoever you like, and the rest will fall into place with time. (though, if joining a LGBT group or dating would help you sort things out, by all means, go for it)

5. jargon

You said you've been attracted to guys since puberty. I take it thats been more or less exclusive (you arent equally attracted/attracted in the same way to girls). While you dont have the real experience to be "sure," 7 years or so of being attracted to the same gender - with all the social pressure to like the opposite gender - is pretty strong evidence in my opinion.

I think its safe to tell them. If they pull out the "you-cant-be-sure-youve-never-been-in-a-relationship" card, you can say thats true and admit theres some small chance that you arent really gay. But if they arent really homophobic, I imagine theyll probably see that you're being reasonable and should more or less let you figure things out on your own on that issue.

6. Raug

Though I'm young I liked guys from a young age. Once I had a relationship it started to make more sense. I know now that liking definitely lead to where I am. I just asked a guy I like to my new years party. I haven't told my parents about who I am. I'm pretty sure my mom knows though. When I came out to my close friends I got the 'you haven't had a relationship' speech and it rested there till I had my first boyfriend. It was tought but worth it.

7. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Coming out is a process and everyone does it very differently. Some people tell their friends first and then their family, some people tell their family friends and then their friends, some people allow everyone else to "figure it out" and some people decide to come out to everyone at the same time. The only thing that I can tell you is to try and do what feels natural and comfortable (as comfortable as coming out can be). This is one of the situations where following your gut feelings really pays off :slight_smile:

Honestly, the chances of that happening are very, very slim. Deep down you know that you are gay, but sometimes its hard to fully accept it. Go with it, though, and try to keep your doubts away. Experimenting with guys might give you a definite answer, but don't feel like you have to test it like a hypothesis. Luckily for humans we don't have to sleep with anyone to make sure what we are into :slight_smile: