1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When telling your guy best friend your gay

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LivingLife, Jan 1, 2012.

1. LivingLife

what's the chance that he will mind? or the chances that he won't and I want to tell him because i kinda like him but then I'm not sure if he do like me back that way so I'm scared!!

2. Raug

Haha okay first. This will be the hardest out you'll do. Depending on how he is twords the lgbt community he wont care. My best guy friend did. Threatened to beat the gay out of me. He eventually got over it though. If they're truely your friends they wont care.

3. Sablewolphen

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm going to tell my best friend that i'm gay tomorrow :O

and i'm kinda scared to about what he is going to do, I mean I think he will be fine with it and all but >< I have a huge crush on him.

4. sanguine

i have 2, first was shock, then the next reaction both of them arguing over how obvious it was, one saying he knew i was gay and the other saying he had no clue.\
    i dont really think he would change his mind if he were a real friend, you probably wouldn't even be considering confiding in him if he weren't.
    i'm not attracted to either of them (and it will never happen) so i can't really help you there, which is funny because when i did tell them, the same guy who supposedly knew i was gay always thought i was into him LOL

5. Raug

I came out to one of my friends recently. He kissed me~

6. IanGallagher

I'm bi. I've never really had a crush on any of my guy friends. I've gotten to know them way too well in the platonic sense and made that abundantly clear to them. I was coming out for their knowledge, not because I liked them. My best friend? He spent a lot of time with his shirt off in California around me. Basically nothing changed. We were still just like brothers. Then again, as said, I was never crushing on them since we were all a lot like brothers. The crush part would probably add some complications for some guys or if not reciprocated just vainly feel good and brush it off lol (which is what I'd do if not reciprocated towards a guy who likes me).

7. LivingLife

AHHH but it's so scary!! just thinking about it makes me cringe!! i think he won't mind but still its really scary

8. Hidinginalabama

There's not a lot you can do to not be scared of it but when its over you will be so much happier you did it. Even if he doesnt like what you tell him it is the fact that you did it. You are doing this for your self and that is all that maters. Be strong. You can do this.

9. lazyboy

lazyboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I came out to a male best friend who I knew wouldn't mind... now we're even better friends than before, because he felt that my sharing that with him took a huge level of trust *which it did*, and demonstrated to him how deep our friendship really was.

... and no he's NOT gay, just very accepting.

10. IanGallagher

Not gonna lie it definitely is. I had to TEXT my friends it because I didn't have the courage to tell them straight up. "Hey man, I'm bi." or in your case "gay." Just spitting it out there, find that helps. Besides it's not like anything about us really changes. You should also stress that you're the same guy you always have been - just you dig dudes. I think, especially among our younger generations, we really get that now. Texting helps.

11. LivingLife

really what age was that? maybe it's too early for me to say anything and i'm happy where i am and i hate changes so i'll just prepare myself for the right time for noww

12. andersonh09

andersonh09 Guest

It can be really hard, and sometimes scary, coming out to people, especially those who are close to you. How he will react may depend on how he views homosexuality. His initial reaction may be shock, or he may not care at all. Regardless of his personal beliefs, if he is your best friend, he shouldn't let your sexuality get in the way of your friendship. Just remember to relax and stay strong, you'll feel better after telling him.

13. IanGallagher

At 23 years old, but I don't see why age would matter really. My generation's progressive, but from what I've seen? Younger generations are really progressive and coming out a lot earlier.

14. jargon

I'm doing this in the next week or so! My best guy friend's been away in europe the last month, and I havent wanted to broach that particular subject over text or facebook or anything like that. Not that in-person will be less awkward or anything.

In my case, I'm pretty sure he wont mind at all. He's pretty open-minded (he went to an anti-Westboro Baptist Church rally with me and another friend a couple years ago) and he isnt remotely my type anyways, so there's no awkwardness there. For you, if you like this guy, I'd say tell him your gay first and gage his reaction. Any idea of his overall feelings about GLBT issues? If he's uncomfortable with it, that will probably be obvious. If he responds very positively, there might be a chance he isn't straight too, but you don't have to rush it. If it turns out he's gay or something like that, he'll be less likely to need to hide it once he knows you are.

15. 1999

i don't know how to tell my best friend im gay we have been friends for four years and i haven't told him im gay i have no idea how to tell him i scared he will get mad and not be my friend no more

16. hatethiscloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I went through this exact conflict a few months ago. I was literally shaking when I decided to tell my best guy friend I was gay. and after all that worrying ya know what happened? He was COMPLETELY okay with it, told me he wasn't surprised at all and that he absolutely didn't have an issue with it. Ever since, I have felt at ease telling him about anyone I happen to be crushing on or who I think is attractive, and he doesn't mind listening. I cant guarantee that your friend will act like this, but if he is a true friend and not overly homophobic, I doubt he would take it badly.

17. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I told my best friend who was also bi that I was bisexual, and he was cool with it of course. I guess that's not he same though, since it's easier. My non LGBT-friends would probably react fine though, they're all open-minded, kind people, so I really have no problem telling them, I just don't have much of a reason to right now.

18. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Both of my guy best friends took me being bi perfectly fine. My one friend, Matt, is actually who I go to all the time for relationship advice.

19. kiltrout

kiltrout Guest

I'm in the process of telling my guy best friend. I think it will go well though.

20. Lewis

Well, when I told my best guy friend it was very emotional. I just started crying and he asked me to tell him why. I said no. He began to cry so I told him to just guess. After a while of guessing he did and it went amazingly.

We hugged, cried and kissed? He's straight but that was basically just to show me how comfortable he was with it. I couldn't ask for a better friend. If your friend is really your friend, he will accept you completely.