1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College Essay?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Inkeh, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Inkeh

Inkeh Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey, so I'm a senior in high school and I've been applying to colleges lately...
    I recently submitted my application to DePaul University and wrote an essay about my sexuality and how I've struggled with acceptance from parents and how it's taught me the importance to be accepting of other people.
    I was wondering if colleges keep your essays confidential and NEVER reveal what you wrote to your parents or anything (especially if there's a case where you get accepted).

Do many colleges keep those essays private and never mention them or can the topics be brought up again?

I'm just not entirely sure of the details with the process of that and I honestly wouldn't want to come out to my parents through that type of situation...

2. IanGallagher

It NEVER goes to your parents. That would be the last person it would go to. Colleges never mention them. Colleges don't care about them (parents). I have seen in movies sometimes a teacher who has read your essay could have you in their class through pure happenstance and if it sticks out - they could mention it in a "way to go" way but never heard of that outside the world of film, so I'm unsure if it is even teachers who read them... it definitely would NOT go to your parents though. You're an adult.

3. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope, the only people seeing the essay would probably be the admissions department. Nothing to worry about! :slight_smile:

4. JamesD

I mentioned elsewhere that I used to work in college admissions when I was in college. Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act requires that schools and colleges take reasonable steps to keep your educational records confidential. Your parents probably wouldn't be given access to your college records even if they are paying for your school (though that's a bit more dicey). I wouldn't worry about an admissions officer deciding to send your essay to your parents though. That's just not likely to happen, so I'd relax. People talk about all sorts of very personal things in admissions essays - I guarantee you're not the first person to talk about their sexual orientation in an admissions essay.

5. CatofOld

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Your parents will not know, your teachers almost certainly will, if you have a mentor (and most colleges will give you one) then chances are very very good they have a copy of the essay and have read it (I just happened to notice my essay in my file last year when I was talking to them about schedules, and I was a senior so it doesn't go away). So basically if you wrote about it every professor in your department of study might know (They divide up for mentoring and they all have the chance to read your file/ they talk to each other) If your okay with your professors knowing great, if not find a new topic.

6. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    I guess it must depend on the college. I'm a junior in college and the college I attend has never said anything my admissions essay. In fact, I don't know anyone that has had an admission essay come up as a topic of conversation with a professor or anything like that. Definitely don't worry about your parents finding out. Even if you are still 17 when you go to college your records are not available to your parents unless you sign a consent form allowing them access to such information. In terms of professors or any other university staff having access to your admissions essay you should probably check with the school's policy.

7. Ticklish Fish

you're/ 'll be in college, it's up to you to study and keep up and things, lol.

8. Jared

Necro thread, let it rest in peace.