1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

still struggling

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by bdman, Jan 2, 2012.

1. bdman

I want to be able to start socializing with people in the lgbt community, the problem is how can I do that and keep it a secret from my professional and family life. I wish that I didn't have to keep it a secret, that is obviously going to be extremely stressful. I just don't want to disrupt that part of my life. I am in a lead position at work and I have good reason to believe it would hurt my career if I was out.

My family is extremely homophobic, and it would create situations that we could never recover from. I can't even put it into words (but I'll try). I would be hurt by not receiving support or acceptance. I would try to estrange myself at that point which would hurt my family. They would try to help me, but not in the way I need (they would try to save my soul). I couldn't be around them anymore, they would be hurt. There would be a constant going back in forth between anger and sadness on both sides. I don't believe it is possible for them to accept me as I am, and I will never be OK while knowing what they think of me. I don't want to fight a religious battle I can't win.

All of this is holding me back from joining lgbt social groups and moving forward with my life. I'm tired of living my life in fear. Everything is at risk. I envy those of you who never felt you were risking everything to be who you are.

2. Jay D

All I can suggest is that you do what is right for you - your parents may not like it, but at the end of the day it's your feelings and life at stake. My parents refused to accept my pagan faith, and still refuse to this day, and I simply told them that it was my life and that we simply wouldn't discuss it. I suggest that you tell your family, explain that you don't want your soul to be saved, and then they will know at least.

It may be hard, and it may hurt, but in the end which is more important, your life or your family?

Blessings )O(

3. lazyboy

lazyboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I can only speak from personal opinion of course. I can't say what exactly I would do if I were in your position - I'm not. That being said, I can only see two options.

The first is to keep doing what you're doing, although I think that if you keep doing that your situation will deteriorate. You are living your life to please other people - building up relationships, and conducting yourself in a manner that will gain you the most ground in the eyes of those important to you. At the same time though, you are holding yourself prisoner to that life and the expectations of others and I think you will begin to feel worse and worse the longer you do that. I'm afraid it looks like you are building an empty life. - outwardly happy, inwardly not.

The second option of course is to do something to fill the void. Meet people. Bring someone into your life to enrich it. This is what I would recommend. As for your family, do they love you, or only the you that you present to them?

As Jay_D said, "... which is more important, your life or your family?"

4. oneday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your family sounds a lot like mine, which is why I still haven't come out to anyone. I'm still working on accepting who I am, so I'm not yet ready to make that big step. But I know one day I will be ready to come out to them and it's scary to think about it. It seems impossible. We just need to remember that it's our life, our happiness. You can choose to do what you want. No one is forcing you to come out to your family. Do what makes you feel comfortable. You may not be ready now, but maybe one day you will.

Although, I'm curious as to why you think socializing with people in the LGBT community will disrupt your family and professional life? I've had a gay best friend for many years and I've even had them over at my home numerous times, while my homophobic family was home. I've never had any problems. I think you could still socialize without any negative consequences, just don't have your friends call or send letters to your family's home or workplace. :slight_smile:

Also, I don't know what the labour laws are in your country, but some countries prohibit discrimination in the work place based on sexual orientation.

#4 oneday, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  5. bdman

Actually, my state does have laws against discrimination based on sexual orientation, so I'm not worried about being fired. I am worried about my professional relationships within the company. I have a lead technical position that I was given not only for being very good at what I do, but being well liked by upper management. If it were found out that I was gay, I could easily see losing my status as a possibility.

Then there is the issue of having to face my coworkers. This one is harder to explain.
    I was essentially taught that gays were disgusting evil people from an early age. So discovering that I was gay as a young teen really messed me up. I learned to go through life overcompensating in such a way so nobody would question that I was straight. In a way I created a false image of myself over the last 8 years where I work. I reached a point of self acceptance where I no longer want to put on that false image. However, if it was found out that I was gay, it would be (in a way) an admission of lying for years and it would be hard to look everyone in the eye out of shame after that. You know, I didn't really think of it this way until I typed it out, but this has got to be a big part of why I'm so afraid to have people who know me find out that I am gay.

As far as my family, they are very anti-gay (they loved that Rick Perry anti-gay ad). If they found out I went to lgbt groups, that would start a firestorm.

6. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If your family is hurt by you estranging yourself from them after they reject you for being gay, then that's their own damn fault, not yours. You're feeling hurt for their potential prejudice. It's not your fault that they're uneducated. You're right, you can't win a religious battle if they are the type who refuse to look at both sides of the theological discussion regarding human sexuality. The mom in "Prayers for Bobby" was the same way.

I'm in a similar place in my life so your posts caught my attention. I know how hard it is to want to get out after taking so long to do it so I'm really hoping the best for you. (*hug*)

7. lazyboy

lazyboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You sound a lot like myself.

You don't need to come out at work if you don't want to. - I didn't. There's no reason they need to know.
    You don't need to come out to your family yet if you don't want to.

I DO think you need to come out to SOMEONE, either a close friend, a trusted colleague,... someone you know who'll be supportive. There's nothing like support from a real live person who looks at you with acceptance and not shame. You don't need to date them, you just need to be able to be sincere, open, and honest, without fear of being judged. More importantly, I think you need to learn how to live for YOURSELF, and not for other people.

Maybe there are some groups in your area, PFLAG for instance, where you could remain anonymous and still be around LGBT people. They would have more information about services and social events in your area. I'm sure your family or co-workers don't keep tabs on EVERYTHING you do, so there would be little risk of being discovered. Could you not spare some time for something like this?

Think about it.

8. bdman

Yes, the mom in "Prayers for Bobby" basically is my mom. Most of my family is like that. It seems the only way someone like that can change is through a tragic event. Thankfully I survived my teen's and early 20's despite the occasional suicidal thought and buried myself in work which kept me going after college.

Thank you so much.

9. Jerseyboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah, I agree. I really think you might want to watch that movie on youtube one day because it sounds like you're in a similar position, and it would make a great recommendation to your family if you ever do come out to them because it offers alot of religious arguments that show homosexuality in a better light. I know what you mean to an extent, because certain parts of my extended family are extremely religious and I hesitate to tell them, but in the end it's your life. You're gunna have to decide between this routine of lying to everyone around you that you've become accustomed to for their acceptance, or go for your own happiness and fuck everyone else. =) If they really love you, they'll want you to be happy, regardless of where they think your soul will end up. Plus, think about it, what kind of just God would make the only way to achieve happiness in the afterlife to go through personal misery and loneliness while alive? Just doesn't make sense to me. Good luck man, let us know how everything goes

10. bdman

Yes, we may think alike too. I just started going to pflag. I picked the chapter that was about an hour drive away to lower the chance I could run into somebody I knew from my area. This is completely irrational, but the first meeting I arrived in the parking lot a half hour early and positioned myself so I can see the people walking into the church, to make sure I didn't spot anybody I know (I used to live close by here a long time ago).
    I couldn't even say the word gay the first meeting. The second meeting I was more comfortable. This was a huge first step for me, but now I want more than once a month meetings. Somehow, it doesn't feel like coming out if the person didn't know me as straight before.

You are right, I do need to live for myself and not for other people. I think I always tried to be what others wanted me to be for acceptance. Maybe that is typical when you spend your life hiding who you are.

---------- Post added 2nd Jan 2012 at 07:00 PM ----------

Yes, I did watch that movie on youtube. It kind of was the last thing I watched that finally caused me to come out to myself. It is also how I discovered pflag which I just started going to. I thought about giving this movie to my family as well as a booklet that discusses homosexuality from scientific, theological and sociological perspectives. But I don't think they would watch the movie or open up the book. They know what they know already, if it doesn't come from their church it comes from the rectum of hell.

11. lazyboy

lazyboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You sound very much like myself. I was taught the same thing... not directly, but certainly I grew up in an atmosphere where being gay was considered disgusting and deviant. Only perverts thought like that. So as a young teen, when I was confronted with signs that I may actually be gay, I couldn't accept it. I tried praying it away. I found every explanation possible to logically explain it to myself, (it's just a phase, I haven't met the right girl, I'm just shy, etc,) and I did everything possible to create an image of a sweet and upstanding young man who'd do anything for anyone - partly as an image for other people to see, partly to convince myself of that. I also avoided any and all romantic situations. I couldn't allow people to see me utterly fail in a situation with a female, or to be seen with the slightest interest in male.

Eventually I got to the point where, after years of doing this, other people had moved on with their lives, found love, had families, etc., and I had stood still with nothing.

I eventally had to accept the fact that I was gay and that there was nothing I could do about that, but in doing THAT, I had to come upon a few other important discoveries...

First, I had to come to the conclusion that the upstanding person I was portraying wasn't the act at all. It was the real me. Sure, it was over emphasized to protect myself, but that didn't make it less real. The friends that I came out to, pointed out that that had suspected all along anyway - and still loved me. After I accepted all of this I kind of became less of a doormat - now I could comfortably say "no" to people, but the core person that I had been all these years remained.

Second, any of the nay-sayers that would've chastized me for being who I was had moved on with their lives and didn't really pay much attention to me anyway. So I was forced to admit that I was going out of my way to seem socially palatable for people whose lives really weren't affected one way or another by my being gay. In other words, I was putting my life on hold, just so they could live comfortably in their own false belief systems. It hardly seemed fair. Why should other people live happy full lives while I'm left with scraps?

I feel that the situation is similar for you.

12. bdman

My god...even the details you describe are the same.

Praying it away. The excuses to explain it away.

I dated women, but knew I wanted to avoid any romantic entanglements.

Also I think the core of who I am is still there, but part of the shell is fake and I'm starting to chip away at that.

It's funny, growing up I was convinced that something was wrong with me and I was the only one in the world with these problems. Thanks for sharing, it helps a lot.