1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small town, how do you find guys (in their 20s)?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by IanGallagher, Jan 2, 2012.

1. IanGallagher

I've recently moved back home to a relatively small town from a big city. I'll be able to fly to places like NYC and LA for job interviews and etc., plus I'm in the film industry - so everything outside of here? Relatively everywhere I look. But, here? I'm the only LGBT guy any of my friends know. I don't know anyone else. I'm not looking for dating. Just, other bi or gay guys around my age to hang out with. None of my friends are willing to go to a gay bar, I'm kinda skeptical about going alone. I have no clue as to what to do. When I came out I was living in LA. I wasn't really "open" here before, so I'm quite lost as to how it all works in small town suburbs. Basically, where do I look?

2. Hana Solo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    If I were single, I'd face that problem too, so i have no idea how to help you. Coming from a small town as well, I have no idea.

I guess I'm just saying this to let you know that you're not alone and to offer my support, even if I can't help.

3. Sunsetting

Sunsetting Guest

hmmm, i'd use an app to see who's in the area...??? but i'm in new york, so there are like a gazillion people in the lgbt community here... but def supporting you bro!

4. ukeye

ukeye Guest

Id suggest the internet or just go to the gay clubs alone - Ive done it before, its not that bad - At least there are gay clubs in your area - here in Australia they are only in the major cities pretty much. If your in the suburbs, you have to adapt to your environment.. its not easy, but doable. Might mean some expensive cab rides and pains but you can always have your fun when dropping into NYC or LA - Or visit the nearest city and get a hotel?

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, nothing wrong with going to the gay bars alone - you at least know there are gays there. :slight_smile: Also, if there are other "gay areas" in town - gay boutiques, shops, bookstores - you can always swing by there and get social. Keep an eye on the bulletin boards to see if there's a gay volleyball league or biking club starting up. Otherwise, you can probably advertise on dating and social sites. Just be very clear about what you're looking for "Looking for other gay/bi guys to hang out with, go to bars, clubs, sporting events. Not interested in anything sexual."

Lex

6. insidehappy

insidehappy Guest

there are gay people in that small town, but because it is more conservative tehy are probably very closeted.

my recommendation is you may have to find a safe online community locally that is not sex based or hook up based if you would like to meet friends.

if there are colleges in the town or nearby you will have to possibly go there to meet other people you can hang with.

however, you will not likely meet many out guys or an "out" community in your small town. going to a bar/club alone is really not that big of a deal. just know what you are going for and know that when you go, they can be sexualized and people can and maybe will approach you in that way just like guys apporach girls in straight bars and girls approach guys.