1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a job immediately

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by pace e amore, Jan 4, 2012.

1. pace e amore

I start college on monday and I'm currently staying with a friend until I can get a job and get a cheap apartment, I only have about a thousand dollars left after forking over another thousand for a macbook pro that was required for the class I'm taking (graphic design). I don't want to be a burden so I'm planning on getting my own place as quickly as possible but the elusive first job is well, elusive. I don't even care how much i get paid as long as it pays for gas, rent, utilities, etc. (I'm prepared to live off top ramen and water if I have to). Does anyone have any job-hunting tips?

2. bdman

Sorry, no tips...its really tough out there now, but I laughed when I saw ramen. Took me back to my college days. New one for every day of the week.

3. ImNuts

If you are in a spot, why not check online job boards like craigslist for freelance work doing graphic design?

4. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Fastest way to get a job right now is through networking. Tell everyone and anyone you know that you desperately need a job and are up to do anything. Talk to your parents to see if they know anyone that might be able to help you get a job. You can also do small jobs here and there like it was mentioned above.

Another thing to do for the future is to build your resume by doing some volunteer jobs. Let people know that you are hardworking and motivated. It is also an amazing way to get to know people that might be able to offer you a job in the future.

And the last thing to come to mind is trying your university/college. Many schools offer a lot of jobs for students and most will pay you according to how much money you need. They are also really good at working with your schedule and, as a plus, you don't have to drive anywhere so less money goes to gas :slight_smile:

5. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your college should offer a careers center where you can go in and seek advice for finding a job. Also, I know some colleges hold a career fair once a semester or so where many different companies come to the colleges advertising for hiring. Have your resume handy in case it comes to that. As for immediate, I would say ask EVERYONE you know. Check every place in your town, there's bound to be a few places hiring... Good luck with the job hunt!