1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

letter to parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by biisme, Dec 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biisme

i wrote a letter to my parents saying i'm bi and it's been in my pocket all day. i really want to leave it somewhere obvious in the house when i go to school (either tomorrow or friday), but i'm so scared.

i don't kno if i hav the courage to do it. should i?

2. Hollywood

you need to ask yourself, are you ready for them to know? will they let it change things between you?

if you're ready, then go ahead and don't let anything stop you. if you're just doing it to get it over with, i think that you should wait until you're more ready.

3. Micah

Does one of your parents stay home while you're at school - if not consider whether or not they won't actually read it until they get home from work.

I assume the main reasons you are leaving them a letter is so that you have the courage to actually let them know, as well as giving them time to "digest" the information on their own.

If you are concerned that they may not take it so well, I would recommend giving it to them at the start of the week, rather than just before the weekend, as this means you'll both be busy during the day, and they'll be able to process the information you being there.

Otherwise, I wish you the best of luck and I hope you gain the courage and the confidence to give them the letter!

4. biisme

my dad just got layed off, so he's at home, and my mom is sick so she's at home. basically, they'll both be home tomorrow.

thanks for the luck. i don't know about gaining courage tho. i feel lik i'm standing on a diving board, and i'm afraid to jump off.

5. tiptoerainbows

I think a letter is a great idea, just remember that they will most likely want to talk to you after finding it. Good luck though.

6. sdc91

Are they in good moods? I mean, I wouldn't want to come out if they were grumpy. Might want to double check on that. They might do things they don't mean to do.

Anyway, I hope you get the courage to leave that letter someplace! Congratulations on taking the first step of writing it. :thumbsup:

7. ebra

thats a good way of putting it, the diving board thing, just think of it as that, and know that you stood in the line to get onto the board because it was what you wanted to do ((I mean you wrote the letter right??)) and now theres a line up behind you, so you either jump, because you know in your heart you want to do it and that it will be amazing once you do, or you turn around and climb back down and know that you chickened out and the whole pool saw you, and then youll probably be too embarassed to go back up. (( although none of us here will sniker at you being chicken or anything like that)) but do you kind of see what i am getting at, besides the fact that i have battled a fear of water my whole life. LOL.

youve come this far, you feel the need to tell them, a letter is an awesome way of doing it, and if you are sure that the letter is an accurate dipiction of what is going on, then by all means take the plunge. go for it, hold your breath and kick for the surface, and dont be afraid because you know it something that you can do. hopefully everything will go well and there wont be a kid on a flutterboard right where ur trying to breathe :wink:

let us know how it goes, and good luck. youll do whatever is right for you, as long as that is what you are basing your decisions on! (*hug*)

8. Psychedelic Bookmarks

well, i don't know whether you should leave it or not. only you can know that, really. but i can say, if you don't do it, don't feel bad, there's your whole life! and if you do do it, the best of luck and enormous huggles!

9. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

With your dad out of work and your mum unwell, I wonder if maybe they have enough to deal with right now. So perhaps now is not the best time for them? How do you think they will handle more of what they will probably think is "bad news" at the moment?

10. biisme

#10 biisme, Dec 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.