1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way to come out at work? Should I?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Klokwerk, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Klokwerk

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just started a new job at a small Engineering company, and the atmosphere is very friendly and productive. I really love everyone here (About 20 people at this office) and I am given plenty tasks that are both challenging and teach me a lot. I feel like I should come out to them for some reason, but should I? Whats the best way to ask if they are LGBT friendly as anonymously as possible?

2. ukeye

ukeye Guest

It really depends how comfortable you feel.. To me, work is work and from my experience its best to keep your personal life to yourself - My reasoning for this is at the end of the day, people work to earn money - the social aspect is second to this, so the environment is not as safe as more traditional social setting. Also it can be competitive in some workplaces, and discrimination can occur. You don't have to out yourself as homosexual as your colleagues needn't announce their heterosexuality.

3. Dalmatian

Since you just started working there, it might be a good idea to wait a bit till you get to know them all better. Also, if there is someone there who you are more close to and more comfortable with or you see that he/she is openminded, you can talk to that person not only to start coming out one by one, but to ask how others might react. In any case, I don't think it's something that should be announced at the office meeting as point four of the agenda. I mean, I am not out at work, but if I chose to come out, I would do it by simply ceasing to weigh my every word and letting those little giveaways escape. I don't know my colleagues are straight because they told me, but because they tend to comment on the opposite sex, to be in relationships, to pass little sexist remarks and so on.

4. insidehappy

insidehappy Guest

im not sure if i understand the diff between transgenered adn transsexual. but my guess is that they knew you were not mainstream when they hired you so they are ok with it. also, if you are getting along with people, they are ok with it. if you can completely pass off as another gender and hide under their radar, what does it matter. they see you as a woman do they really need to know you were born with male parts. if they start bashing gays you will know if they are lgbt friendly or not. the bottom line is some people are adn some people are not. its' a small compnay. some larger companies have affinity groups (groups for chinese, groups for gays, groups for this or that), you could join those if you want if they have them but if they dont, then just make friends at work, but the bottom line is this is work and is not a place to socialize. if someone is harassing you, you can take it to HR but right now you need to focus on learning your job and making good work relationships with people. if you choose to tell them about your MTF orientation, that's your business. but honeslty, what's the big deal. they aren't running up to you and telling you...."hey i'm actually a quarter chinese. " "hey my husband likes it doggie style,," they seem to like you and it seems friendly so just go with the flow.

5. Mercy

Mercy Guest

you know what i dont even know you but feel connected to you do as you feel hun im here to support your desisions as your new EC friend

6. insidehappy

insidehappy Guest

you should listen to whoeever wrote this. they have good sound judgement.

7. EM68

I don't think its a big deal to be out at work if its a friendly enviorment. When I interviewed for my current job the office manager saw my ring and asked if my wife was supportive of the job opportunity. I told him that it was my husband. He said ok then about 10 minutes later he offered me the job.

8. Klokwerk

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well I'm also transgender, so it's not really about coming out as gay, but coming out as a mtf transgender. That is what i'm worried about, since this is the company I will 99% be working for the rest of my life (Absolutely awesome btw) so they will eventually learn of it somehow.

---------- Post added 7th Jan 2012 at 03:01 PM ----------

Thank you very much, this makes me feel better :slight_smile: My job is amazing, very laid back fun rewarding and challenging engineering job, and I want to work here forever.

9. Mercy

Mercy Guest

Awesome :slight_smile: