1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anything wrong with this coming out scenario?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by WhatLiesAhead, Jan 6, 2012.

1. WhatLiesAhead

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I started my coming out process last month and want to take advantage of any opportunity I get to tell my close friends in person as soon as possible. I’m going to see two good friends of mine in a few weeks at the same time. I don’t get to see either of them too often so I really don’t want to let this opportunity pass. My dilemma is two fold…

First, aside from my parents, I’ve only told people one-on-one so far. It’s been more comfortable for me to do it that way and I also want to make sure the person I’m telling is free to react with no added pressure of someone else being part of the conversation. This alone makes me hesitant to tell any two people at once. To complicate things though, I think there is a chance both of them may be gay and rather deep in the closet. In fact, I am actually pretty sure that one of them is; the other I’d call a toss up. Of course I could be totally off base but regardless, it’s what I sense and it feels like even more reason for me to want tell them individually given the opportunity.

Unfortunately, I just don’t think I’ll have any one-on-one time during that weekend with either so if I’m going to do this, it’s going to be a conversation involving all three of us at once. Perhaps I’m over thinking all of this, but does anyone see any major red flags about me telling them both at the same time? I’ll just add that I really don’t see either reacting negatively; both I’m sure will be fully accepting (as all my other friends and family I’ve told thus far have been). That said, if one, or both, of them is actually gay and in the closet, it could make for an awkward situation.

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't see anything wrong with that. I told a lot of my friends from college by telling them in a group. I would just say that if they have any questions you could answer them.

Good Luck!!

3. Sunsetting

Sunsetting Guest

As long as you feel comfortable with telling them at the same time, I don't see a problem at all. They may come up to you later or call you to talk one on one and if either is gay, it might liberate them a little as well