1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dads political views

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by confused102188, Jan 8, 2012.

1. confused102188

Just now my mother and father were in the living room having a conversation about the republican candidates. My parents have always been republican and that is fine but I hate there views on gay rights. My dad said he supports Rick Santorum. I argued for a good 10 minutes them just walked away. My parents know I'm gay! My dad says he doesn't support gay marriage or gay adoption. My mom says she's undecided leans toward my dads point of view. I'm an only child, don't they wanna see me get married and raise a family? My moms main concern when I told her I was gay was that she thought she'd never have grand kids. I want to marry and adopt! Why would my own parents not support that? Uggh!

2. wellhidden

wellhidden Guest

Well I have the same issue here about the whole debate of same sex marriage and my parents are sooooo extremely anti gay and said if they had voted they would have put no to same sex marriage, but the thing is that im not out to them yet so not entirely in your shoes.

I can see your point that your parents want grandchilden and your thinking about adoption but I think they want grandchildren that are genetically yours, (just my thoughts)

3. confused102188

Yea it could be that they want grand kids that are genetically there's and mine. I've thought about artificial insemination but there so many kids in foster care that need a home. Weather they agree with it or not I'll be adopting. I just don't get why they wouldn't want that for their son.

4. Ianthe

5. sometimesbetter

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Because they've only known the "normal" way: Man and Woman together, who produce a child on their own. Sigh. Honestly, do what's right for you. You're only 23 right now. You got the rest of your life to make all of these decisions. I, too, want to adopt or foster a child, but I want to do it when I'm able and ready to do so. I really don't want to be with anyone (even when I assumed a heterosexual identity), and I'd rather have a child because the love a parent has for a child is so much stronger and so much more unconditional than a love that two partners share for each other (in my opinion, anyway). But, I don't like to think about the future that much. Whatever happens, happens. Thinking about it just makes me depressed. One day at a time.

6. IanGallagher

Right there beside you, dude. Every dinner the debates are on. My Mom's a democrat. My Dad's a moderate Republican. When a candidate said he stood for "liberty" today - I joked he only meant for rich straight white dudes because everyone else they want to knock back into the stone age in regards to "liberty." My Dad gave me this look like, "why are you so anti-Republican?" I didn't say this out loud - but - these guys are always so demoralizing that's it's sickening. All I can say is if it comes down to it - I'm prepared to fight politically any way I can to ensure the progress of the Declaration of Independence - "all are equal." Also reminds me of the premise of this film:

[YOUTUBE]-no1_mgohJg[/YOUTUBE]

7. Ianthe

Also, my bet would be that everything will change once there are actual grandbabies. Your mom may be lukewarm now, but give her a toddler that calls her "gramma" and it'll all be different.

8. redstormrising

i was actually about to post a topic similar to this. it's dawning on me that since my parents are both going to vote republican in the next presidential election (as they always do), they will be voting for someone who does not believe i deserve the same rights as everyone else. my parents support gay marriage as far as i can tell, but they still have no problem voting for someone who thinks i don't deserve to get married. i guess it's unreasonable for me to expect them to change their political leanings, but it still hurts. my only solace is that my sister and i will vote democratic and cancel them out. i simply can't justify ever voting for someone who thinks that i merit fewer civil rights than a straight person.