1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outside support groups?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jerseyboy, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Jerseyboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey, so I just have a quick question that's been kind of bugging me, how many of you are involved with outside LGBT support/social groups? I feel like I'm not doing everything I could to not feel so alone, but at the same time I really don't think I need to. Sure, it'd be nice to be involved with a group of people that I can relate to since it can get awkward with all my straight friends, but the nearest one that I've been able to find is like an hour away. There's a group on my school's campus that I'm going to probably join, but I'm just curious to see how many people actually go out of their way to be involved in LGBT social groups, especially when you're not away at school. Thanks =]

2. redstormrising

hi there, i am in NJ also. i started going to PFLAG meetings when i came out over the summer, and i still try to go, although my work schedule does not always allow for it. i've made some friends through there though, that i talk to pretty often.

3. Ianthe

I joined a lesbian choir where I live. If you don't want a support group per se, you could look into other kinds of social and activity groups.

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I go to the meetings at my college. I've meet most of my friends that I have now there.