1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long-Distance

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Gravity, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I've started dating a guy recently. He's great - really cute, smart, fun to talk to (we spent 5 hours on the phone at one point, a huge record for both of us), we're interested in a lot of the same things and a lot of different things we've already started sharing with each other. We've been on a few dates and they last longer and longer each time, we've starting talking every day, even if only by text, and we had "the talk" and made things official and exclusive with us, and we both have a really good feeling about the way things are going.

The catch is, I met him while I was back home for the holidays (I stayed a bit longer than I'd planned, mainly to be with him more). As of now, I'm back home, and while we agreed that we would do the long-distance thing and stay a couple, the distance is hitting me - both of us, actually - pretty hard (and it's more than a few hour drive, we'd need to fly to visit each other unless it was an emergency).

So I'm wondering - what are some good ways to deal with being apart from your significant other, especially after you've just met? And what are some fun things to do "as a couple" when you're so far away (other than just calling, texting, and video chatting)?

2. MommaFrog

gaming? just a thought

3. bigbenny

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  4. insidehappy

insidehappy Guest

i know it sounds crazy but what about movie night. you guys can both get a dvd and synchornize watching it at the same time. press play and you guys can hold the phone and watch it together and laugh and comment on stuff. call it "date movie night". it's actually kinda fun and strangly enough, it seems like you're both there. now you can do it through skype and now the phone. so you can look at eaach other. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 8th Jan 2012 at 10:42 PM ----------

care package through mail....find out a few of their favorite things and send a little care package out of the blue. most people hardly ever get personal mail anymore and this would be a great surprise out of the blue

5. Ianthe

If you are in the same time zone, you can do the movie night thing with anything that's on t.v., and it will be in sync automatically. Nationally airing shows, not local news, obviously.

What are some of the interests you share? If we knew what those were, it might give us more ideas.

6. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately, not the same time zone, no. :icon_sad: Still, I'm liking all of these ideas.

As for some of our shared interests - I'm a grad student and he's actually interested in what I study, he asked me to send him a couple of my books to read, so I guess that's one thing. :lol: We both like "deep" conversations - he jumped right into the heavy stuff (religion, family, politics, etc.) on the first date, which I actually liked. We're planning on having a discussion about Freudian psychoanalysis at some point, since he's pretty into it but I tend to think it's faulty as a system - wow, we're sounding like nerds now.

Anyway. We're both interested in religion as outside observers (formerly devout as kids, we grew up in religious, Christian families). We both like talking about and thinking about gay culture. We've both traveled to Europe (Ireland particularly) and would love to again, and we both enjoyed going to the Pacific Northwest in the States. This may sound weird, but we're both into the way things smell (he gave me his favorite shirt to take home with me, lol). We both know languages other than English, though none of the same ones (I thought it was awesome that he knows a bit of Arabic, he thought it was sexy that I know some French, hehe). He used to volunteer at a community center for LGBT youth and loved it, and I would really like to do something similar (for LGBT youth or other groups - I'm planning on volunteering at a homeless shelter in Phoenix soon).

I'll leave it at that for now. I could go on, and probably will later. :grin:

Also, though, any ideas for how to handle the personal craziness of being apart? I have a tendency to over-analyze things when I don't have anything immediate to focus on and/or allow myself to get nervous about things I really have no reason to, so I'm looking for a way to calm myself down, get focused again on my life at hand, and make it through the time until he comes to visit (no set date but we've already talked about him coming down here).

7. insidehappy

insidehappy Guest

here are some other suggestions:

1. pick out a book and both read it and schedule time to discuss it.
    2. work out program...may you can get a workout plan both can follow and he can be your virtual work out partner to keep you on track and you keep him on track. that way when you seee each other you'll enjoy the results :slight_smile:
    3. planning a trip somewhere. maybe there's a conferenc eor something for the thing you're both studying and like.

as far as being apart, all you can do it call, text, and do creative stuff until you meet up. maybe plan a trip to meet and then spend the time planning your trip. that will help you have something to focus on .

8. ukeye

ukeye Guest

I think hes worth it hey.. sounds like you guys have a lot in common.

I reckon what above poster said about traveling somewhere would be really fun for both of you.. save up some money and do something special.. or road trip to him and onwards or vice versa.

Exchanging books is great and posting.. I do this with people, its really nice to receive a book from someone they recommend and discuss it with them. You could also write each others letters or post cards - the internet is great, but when you have a letter addressed, written and heart felt it is really special.

Oh also I wanted to add re- the distance thing - good support/friendship is greater than distance! :grin: