1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ive never quite understood this

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by stumble along, Jan 8, 2012.

1. stumble along

How do you know if someone is a friend?

Like, I'm pretty sure that there is no written document that you can pull up and have them sign to signify that you are friends, do you ask them or what?

My definition is aquiantance when meeting, and i dont think that that has to be addressed, and then friend is someone you invite to places outside of a setting where interaction is common place, like school. But do you have to ask or talk about being friends?

The people I hang out with get upset if I don't call them friend so I just say it to avoid dumbness, but I don't really consider them friends, just people I get along with at school, like a co worker.

And that kind of goes into the next thing, do you just talk about being together or is there something I'm not understanding.

This must sound silly but I never understood it, probably because I've been told much to many times that I wasn't friends with someone, then I end up asking myself when that ever existed.

2. Charni

Charni Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think that a friend is whatever you feel a friend is. Some people have different oppinions and values.

3. ukeye

ukeye Guest

This - for me it is someone who takes an interest and genuinely cares for you.. it is not about distance or even regular contact with people that makes them a good friend.. Some of my best friends are the ones I see the least.. but when I am really lost and need somewhere to turn they have a listening ear.

4. sometimesbetter

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    THIS

Just having someone that just understands it. Someone that doesn't do anything and still makes you happy at the same time. There are so many qualities; but you just know.

5. Ianthe

A friend is someone you care about, who also cares about you.

It is not at all about whether you see them only at school or hang out with them in other circumstances. It is about emotional closeness and bonding.

If someone is upset that you don't think of them as a friend, it's because they care about you, and you apparently don't care about them. It makes them sad. They don't understand why you don't like them or feel as close to them as they do to you. They feel rejected.

Why don't you want to be friends with the people from school?

6. Remy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    For the definition part, pretty much the above. The part about you unintentionally offending some people by saying you're not friends with them, you could say instead "Yeah we're friends. But we're not that close." to smooth out the rough edges. Just make sure that you're not overlooking the possibility that the other person sincerely wants to be friends with you.

7. stumble along

i wish that was the case for me, most of the people i used to hang out with in my old school do not talk to me anymore, i was forgotten in less than a year, in fact im pretty sure the majority of the people i still talk probably consider me a nuisance.

i care, but i cant care too much, this stuff to me is just too temporary, i really see no point in talking and making friends with these people if after a year we all graduate and guess what, you go to college and forget about almost everyone in highschool, i dont really know how to put that into words that can be easily comprehended to make them not feel rejected but i feel a little bad after they get disheartened.

idk maybe its just me, i moved around alot so friends were something i never was able to hold onto for a extended period of time, i hate forgetting about people, it really bothers me, but it doesnt seem to bother the rest of the world. this new school i came here for junor year, by now everyone has their groups and doesnt really accommodate for new people, i was lucky that i found these people, if not i would still be eating lunch by myself in some dark corner, and before that i was ditched by my two best friends entering highschool freshman year and sat by myself until i met some other people.

obviously ths isnt very normal, i think my position on friends is probably whats affecting the whole thing, i dont really know how to fix it.

8. Ridiculous

I can't give you any advice, partly because I am awful at giving advice but mostly because I'm in the same situation as you.

I've never really had anybody I could legitimately call a friend. Everyone I have had contact with over the last 7 years or so has essentially been just an acquaintance of convenience because we happen to be doing the same class at the same time. As soon as we part ways at the end of the day it may as well be that I never knew them at all. When we are actually together then we get on perfectly fine, but afterwards you may as well just forget it.

There have been some occasions where I have been contacted by them outside of class, but every time they just wanted to exploit me for help with something. And that's not to say that I haven't attempted contact them, because I have, and in all but a very few cases I just get fobbed off and feel like I'm being a nuisance. I can literally count maybe 2, possibly 3 times when I have been contacted and they didn't want to just get me to do something for them.

There is one friend that I've had since I was about 5 years old, and we do keep in contact a couple of times a week, but that's the only exception. So I suppose there is one person I can call a friend.

My post is completely useless for helping you, but you aren't the only one in this situation.

9. Ianthe

My three best friends are all people I met in high school, and I have other friends from high school still as well. I am now 32 years old. Many people make lifelong friends in high school. The first people I came out to were friends from high school, even though I was nearly 30 at the time.

By high school, most people have reached a stage of development that enables them to keep in touch with people, if that is something you both want.

Going off to college and forgetting about everyone in high school will only happen if that is what you want to happen. If you and they choose, you can maintain friendships with them indefinitely.

(Somewhat less relevantly, it is false to assume that everyone is going to college. Some people don't. Some people join the military, or decide to go to trade school and become plumbers, or other things like that, which are perfectly valid choices and not something they should be made to feel bad about by everybody acting like college is the only thing one can do after high school.)

10. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me, I draw the line mainly at "people I'll make an effort for to keep in touch". As opposed to acquaintances, which are just people I don't mind spending time with.

In my experience, though, calling someone "friend" in highschool really just meant you thought hanging out with them was fun (while refusing to call someone "friend" back if they called you a friend first was tantamount to saying you didn't like them around). So, that highschool definition is closer to what I'd call an acquaintance. I'd still call most of my highschool classmates "friend" to their faces out of general politeness, though.

You shouldn't see people not contacting you as "being forgotten", though. Nor is it necessarily an issue if you don't care to keep in touch with most people you meet along the way. It's just tough to make real friends in highschool. You're just people who happen to be forced to sit in a room together everyday because you're the same age and from the same area. the older you are, the more control you get about which people you associate with, so it gets easier to find people with common interests and dispositions to have true friendships with.

Actually, while I did pick up some friends in highschool, at the same time, I made more friends in judo practice, as those were people who were into the same thing and thus infinitely more likely to clock with me. you might actually want to look into picking up a hobby or other extracurricular activity. It's a good way to do something you enjoy, and meet people who like the same things as you!

11. Azza

A friend is someone who you get on with well and someone you want to see on a regular basis, there the people that stick around when your having a rough time and the people that you have the best of times with, it is a relationship with someone that works both ways. :slight_smile:

12. summersforecast

For me, everyone I have positive emotions for is a friend. Then again I'm pretty weird, basically anyone who isn't an enemy is a friend by my standards. So don't hesitate to call people your friends :slight_smile: they seem to take it only ever as a compliment, so what's the harm?

13. stumble along

Ridiculous- that is exactly what it feels like, though my friends that ive known since i was little are complete strangers now.

ianthe- i dont want to forget anything, it just seems that everyone forgot me, i tried to message people i havent talked to and i either get no response, or 'sorry im busy' excuse

and yes i know not everyone goes to college i just used a hasty generalization for times sake.

filip- i would absoltudely love it if for once someone took the initiative to talk to me, and not vice versa. and i personally dont find it hard to meet potential friends, i know what im looking for in people, what i have yet to find is someone who is willing to hang out with me other than the 30 minutes we have for lunch, and i especially havent found any guy friends my age for obvious reasons.

and yes i have hobbies and sports, both as of late not condoned by my parents, i play tennis and keep fish, ive met people during both, and whats frustrates me is that almost all of them are not near me, therefore i am not in touch with what goes on around them, meaning i am little use to them other than a last ditch alternative for entertainment.
    im not trying out for my schools team because itd be too awkward that a random senior (who i may add compleltely humiliated himself last year during tryouts (think, so nervous i had no idea what happened till 2 hours afterward)) decides to try out for the team.

azza- then in that case ive got friends (!) now i need to focus on getting more haha

summerforecast- im the same way, though it does take alot to get on my bad side, the last time i told someone i was friends with them i got this 'lol no go away' and was left alone, needless to say i felt used.

on a slightly coincidental note, someone i regularly talk with decided to ask me on for my help regarding a friend suddenly becoming moody and what not, i thought it was pretty wierd considering noone asks me for that kind of help, i also feel friendzoned as well haha