1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resources for the suicidal

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by JBH9405, Jan 9, 2012.

1. JBH9405

Hello,

I hope I am posting this in the right place.

About a month ago some wonderful people helped me through a stressful experience, just by giving advice and I wanted to pay it forward. Recently, I have talked to a couple of people that feel they may attempt suicide due to being afraid of coming out, bullying, etc. I wanted to link them to resources that may help them through a hard time. As many know, the LGBT community has had some unfortunate incidents where people have committed suicide, and I want to do my part to lower these occurrences.

Does anybody have any recommendations as far as directing people where to go in the case they want to commit suicide? Or possibly to help them through depression? Or perhaps ones that focus more on the LGBT difficulties? I especially want to provide assistance to those without a strong social support, or are underage and without resources, since they are at a higher risk.

Any bit of information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much!
    --JBH9405

2. sometimesbetter

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think this is a wonderful idea. I'd love to see if someone has any links or resources, as well.

3. Hidinginalabama

The Trevor Project is a really good website that you could look at. TheTrevorproject.org

4. jargon

The Samaritans Suicide Hotline or a similar organization is a great start. I volunteer with the Samaritans myself, and besides the service we offer personally we also give out lots of info to callers on local resources dealing with these issues.

I'd suggest looking online to see if there are any suicide hotlines like this in your area and asking them for resources locally you can point people to. We always welcome third party calls. :slight_smile:

5. JBH9405

Thank you! The Trevor Project is a great resource. Locally we have a crisis hotline that deals with general grief/stress/suicide, but nothing specific to the LGBT community. Either way, I'll look for volunteer opportunities.

Thanks again!