1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I live with parents who reject me?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Charni, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Charni

Charni Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I haven't come out yet, but I don't think I can wait two years. If I come out to my parents and they reject me, how do I live with them? Is it much harder? Do I live in my room? Or does it not matter?

2. dreamcatcher

Well, I'm going to give you the advice that my counselor told me... If you are financially dependent on your parents and have good reason to believe that they would kick you out or disown you, then do not come out to them. I don't know your parents or how they are like. It's possible that they might be uncomfortable at first and that they eventually might get used to it. They might take it very well. They might go into denial and ignore it. Or they may completely kick you out. You know your parents better than we do. Also realize you have to come out as both trans and a lesbian which may be a lot more for your parents to deal with. If you have reason and evidence to believe that they would take it well and you really want to come out, then I would say go for it. But if not, I would say hold back. Just think it through carefully before making a decision.

Don't know if that helped or not. But good luck!

3. Charni

Charni Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think I'll wait a bit longer. Thanks for the post.