1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Irrational Fear of Loss

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MunsterMash, Jan 11, 2012.

1. MunsterMash

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So my boyfriend and I have been together for a few months now, and we are totally smitten with each other. Our relationship has developed rather quickly ("I love you's" were exchanged fairly early on) and we have both established that we are committed to each other. I seriously do love this guy with all of my heart. He is laid back, funny, affectionate and he is interested in all of the same areas that catch my attention (film, music, art, etc.). I could easily spend years and years with this guy. And this is where my issue comes in. When it comes to relationships for me, I am one committed guy. I have never dated just to date. If I enter a relationship with someone it is because I want to pursue something that is "serious." I plan on being with my boyfriend for awhile (at the very least) and he has expressed that same sentiment to me. However, recently I haven't been able to knock this irrational, selfish fear that he is going to end the relationship before I want it to end. He hasn't given me any signs of breaking up whatsoever. This post is solely coming from my own paranoia. I think I'm having this fear, because for the first time I have found someone that makes me truly happy and (naturally) there is not a fiber in my being that wants to lose that. I realize this is a selfish, paranoid problem but I wanted to share this with all of you in hopes that others have experienced the same feelings and have eventually found a way to get over their own "fears of loss," within their relationships. If anyone has any advice that could help me get over my own thoughts I would greatly appreciate it.

2. Hidinginalabama

I dont have any advice on how to get over it other than dont worry about it. Your boyfriend sounds like a really great guy and until he shows signs that he's not doent worry. If you keep thinking of this then you will end up being the one to end it. Enjoy that you found some one that you love. It is hard to find some one that loves you and that you love them.

3. rastagod420

Out Status:
    A few people
    When i started reading this I thought I wrote it! My boyfriend and I have been together for 4 months and are the SAME way. I love you was said quick, sex happened quickly, we flew into our relationship very quickly. I fell head over heels for him , unfortunately im 24 and hes 18 and still in High School, so we can only see eachother a couple times a week tops, plus were both in the closet so have to hide a lot. Which just adds a whole other element to the relationship. I have literally sat and cried just from thinking about us, and have pretty much been an emotional mess since we got together for the same basic reason, I dont want to lose him ever. HE is my first true love, and first boyfriend. What I have started doing and has helped a lot is remember that I am truly awesome and if he ended it with me, it would be his loss. Not mine. Another word of advice is stay busy, (everyone says that) but its TRUE. Hang out with friends focus on work, etc. DO NOT SIT and ponder about everything, It will DRIVE you crazy!!!!!!!! Hope this advice helps we are both in very similar situations message me if you want to chat sometime!